Chim chiminey chim chiminey chim chimichanga! See what I did there? You thought I was going to say “chimcheroo” but instead I said “chimichanga” because that’s today’s recipe. Clever I know. Please hold your applause. But if you’re looking for something to applaud, this chimichanga is it. If you like Mexican food, you MUST make it. I’m not even being dramatic. It’s that good…you MUST make it.
If you thought you needed a deep fryer to enjoy delicious chimichangas, well think again. This is oven-baked! I won’t go as far as to say that it’s healthy, but it’s certainly better for you than if it were fried. Can I just say again how good this was? My husband said it’s one of the top 5 meals I’ve ever made, which is quite a compliment. There’s just so much flavor packed into those tortillas!
I must confess, I actually made a mistake with mine. The recipe said to bake them until golden and then take them out, sprinkle cheese on top, and put in the oven again until the cheese melted. Well I was so excited to eat them that I totally forgot about putting the cheese on top to melt. Once they were all golden and perfect, I just had to dig right in (after taking the pictures of course). So if you’re thinking my chimichanga lacks the typical gooey cheese topping, you’re right, my bad. But there was still plenty of gooey cheese on the inside!
The ingredient list may look a little daunting, but it’s not that bad. Most of it you already have! Now go make these…they’re awesome.
- 1 pound Ground Turkey ( Or Chicken)
- 1 package Taco Seasoning (1.25 Oz)
- 1 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Chopped Fresh Oregano
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- 1 can Fire-roasted Green Chiles (7 Oz.)
- ½ cup Diced Fresh Tomatoes
- 2 Chopped Green Onions
- ½ cups Low Fat Sour Cream
- ½ cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 4 Large Flour Tortillas (Burrito Sized)
- ½ cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (to Melt On Top)
- GARNISH: Tomatoes, Lettuce, Cheese, Guacamole, Salsa, Sour Cream
- Saute poultry until cooked through and starting to brown. Add taco seasoning and stir. Add water and stir. Over med – low heat cook until liquid has reduced 2/3.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add cumin, oregano, cilantro, chiles, tomatoes and green onions. Simmer until the rest of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese.
- Lay tortillas on wax paper and brush both sides with the melted butter. Spoon 1/4 of filling into center of tortilla and fold like and envelope. (use a slotted spoon to get rid of any excess liquid)
- Put tortillas, seam-side down on a non-stick sheet pan. Spaced so they DO NOT touch. Bake 20 -25 minutes or until golden and crisp (Mine only took 15 minutes so keep an eye on them or they'll burn!). Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven to melt. Serve with the garnishes.
Source: Tasty Kitchen