Ok so…I made these wrong. Well, this is Normal Cooking, and it’s totally normal to make a cooking mistake! See, here’s what these puffs are supposed to look like:
Obviously mine are much larger and not nearly as cute as these lil puffs. Here’s what happened…I guess I misunderstood the directions when it came to putting the stuffing on the crescent rolls and then rolling them up. I thought I was supposed to leave two triangles together as a square and then roll them. After I had done so, I was like, “Man, these look giant! I’m pretty sure I did that wrong.” Upon closer review of the instructions and looking at the pictures of how it’s supposed to be, my suspicions were confirmed. I had rolled them wrong. I was supposed to roll them as individual triangles, not two together.
BUT! The good news is, even though my rendition is more like a giant pastry pocket instead of a cute lil puff, they still tasted delicious! The stuffing in these things is ssoooo good. I seriously couldn’t resist just eating a few spoonfuls of it cold. We really enjoyed them! And for my Mexican-food-loving-husband, he was thrilled with these.
The recipe calls for jumbo sized crescent rolls which make them more suitable for an entree. However, these would make AWESOME appetizers if you just used the regular sized crescents instead. (And if you rolled them correctly…unlike me). I just might have to make these again, but smaller, to use as some football tailgate food!
- 1 package jumbo crescent rolls
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 3/4 cup cooked chicken (diced or shredded)
- 1/3 cup enchilada or taco sauce
- 2 teaspoons enchilada or taco seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup Mexican shredded cheese for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375° and line cookie sheet with foil and spray with no-stick spray.
- Place cream cheese and 1/2 cup Mexican cheese in small bowl and microwave for about 30-40 seconds, to soften. Add seasoning mix, enchilada sauce, and chicken to cheese mixture and stir until combined.
- Unroll crescent rolls on prepared pan. Scoop 1 large heaping tablespoon of chicken mixture onto the crescent roll.
- Pull outer corners of the crescent roll over the chicken mixture, and then pull the long end over, completely enclosing filling.
- Sprinkle tops of puffs with additional shredded Mexican cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Source: Tidy Mom