OMG Chicken

I had extremely high expectations for this dish.  I mean, not only does the title imply that it will knock your socks off, but the pictures on The Enchanted Cook‘s page just look sssoooo delicious.  I’m a sucker for most things that are “parmesan crusted” too.

This dish was good…but it didn’t meet my ridiculously high expectations.  It was more like “Oh ok. yeah. chicken” instead of “OMG Chicken.”  Part of the problem, in my opinion, is that the mayo/crust on top was too thick.  I used the recommended amount for the ingredients so I’m not sure why it came out that way.  The pictures and words like “crusted” led me to believe that this chicken would have a crispy outer coating.  Instead it had kind of a mushy topping with some breadcrumbs on top.  I think if I had used less mayo it wouldn’t have been so thick and mushy.

Anyways, I know I’ve been kinda harsh on this recipe so far (again, my expectations were VERY high so I was somewhat disappointed), but in spite of its shortcomings in texture, it still is quite tasty.  And the chicken did come out nice and juicy.  This is also a rreeeeally simple recipe that only has 4 ingredients and takes mere minutes to prepare.  So it gets bonus points for that.

OMG Chicken

Yields: 4 servings

OMG Chicken

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets
  • 4 teaspoons Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Place mayo and cheese in a small bowl and mix.
  3. Lay chicken breasts on baking sheet (I line my baking sheet with parchment paper to make clean up easy) and spread mayo mixture evenly atop each. Next evenly sprinkle bread crumbs atop each.
  4. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked thoroughly and juices run clear. Tops should be browned. You can also finish them off under the broiler for a minute or two to get them extra browned on top.
  5. Season with a dash of fresh cracked pepper and sea salt, if desired.

Source:  The Enchanted Cook

82 thoughts on “OMG Chicken

• Denis, I am in the process of creating “printer-friendly versions” of my recipes, but it takes quite a bit of time, especially for recipes I’ve done in the past. All of my new recipes will be including a printer version when they’re posted though!

1. I tried this recipe a while back but I am a garlic freak so I grated a garlic clove in the mayo/cheese mixture Made a world of difference in my opinion.
    🙂

• David,
      Chicken Parmesan does not include mayonnaise as this recipe does Chicken Parmesan also typically involves pan-frying and an accompanying red tomato sauce like marina, whereas this chicken recipe is baked and does not have the marinara sauce

• Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts

Rating:
        (1 vote) 5 1

These Parmesan crusted chicken breasts are so moist, tasty and easy to make!

Shared by Campbell’s Kitchen and Hellmann’s® Best Foods/
        Add to recipe box
        Add recipe note
        Give a recipe

Ingredients

1/2 C. mayonnaise
        localoffersIcon
        1/4 C. grated Parmesan cheese
        4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
        4 tsp. Italian seasoned dry breadcrumbs

Try An Easy Garlic Chicken Recipe
        See More!
        Directions

Combine mayonnaise and cheese. Spread on chicken, then sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.

• David, there’s no need to be rude. If you click on the link for “source” it takes you to the Enchanted Cook’s blog, where it clearly says Hellman’s Mayo Recipe. I just included the link to her blog because I didn’t have the link to the original recipe. I do not condone or practice stealing other people’s recipes without crediting the source. But I’m glad there are people like you out there policing food blogs for copyright violators. Also, Parmesan Crusted Chicken is still not the same thing as Chicken Parmesan as you said originally.

• LINDSAYBALLEN YOU KEEP DOING WHAT YOUR DOING AND NEVER MIND THE NEGATIVE PEOPLE….MAN DAVID TO GET SO RUDE OVER A RECIPE IS DOWN RIGHT CHILDISH! GET A LIFE, IF YOU DON’T LIKE WHAT LINDSAYBALLEN IS DOING DON’T GET ON HER PAGE!!!!

2. So, what you’re saying is that you came up with this recipe, and somehow Campbells and Hellemann’s stole it from you?

• David, there’s no need to be rude If you click on the link for “source” it takes you to the Enchanted Cook’s blog, where it clearly says Hellman’s Mayo Recipe I just included the link to her blog because I didn’t have the link to the original recipe I do not condone or practice stealing other people’s recipes without crediting the source But I’m glad there are people like you out there policing food blogs for copyright violators Also, Parmesan Crusted Chicken is still not the same thing as Chicken Parmesan as you said originally.

• ANONYMOUS I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING .IF YOU THINK THIS JUST KEEP IT TO YOURSELF YOU ARE A GROWN MAN ACT LIKE IT.DID IT BOOST YOUR EGO TO REPLY IN THIS MANNER?

• Hey! I have another way to make this. Mix plain yogurt and dijon mustard. Also, mix the parmesean and Italian bread crumbs together. Dip chicken in yogurt mixture, then in parmesan/breadcrumb mixture. Then bake. It is really good as well. I call this Mustard Chicken, but you can call it what you want.. mostly I call it Yummy!! Lol!

• I’m sorry but I have to say that you’re a person who just has too much time on his hands and not much good to say If you’ve seen this before somewhere else – yeah for you! I would think at this point in time there aren’t too many original recipes left out there to discover You are rude without a doubt! I can’t imagine people having so much time to criticize others to the point that they accuse others of stealing recipes Dude, get a live!

• David, get a life and leave her alone. Sheesh. Don’t cook the friggin chicken if you don’t like her recipe or her name for it.

3. I got this recipe from my friend Andrea on Facebook, so OMG you must have stolen it from her! :-p Just kidding Seriously, this looks like something I’d enjoy, since I like mayo and would probably use it in almost every recipe if I could Thanks for sharing the recipe! I’ll have to try it now Actually, I don’t think Andrea’s recipe used bread crumbs, so that might make it better (hers wasn’t crispy enough for my taste).

• Haha thanks Eileen! If you like it crispy, you might want to go easy on the mayo I used a little too much and it made the chicken a little more mushy and less crunchy Live and learn!

• Since you love to use mayo in your recipes, I have a favorite you might like. Put a tablespoon or two in your mashed potatoes, it make them so creamy! Just wanted to share.

• Anonymous is correct! Had a little cafe and mashed my potatoes with some mayonnaise. I also doctored up the instant potatoes(40 yrs ago you could taste it was instant!) by adding a bit of real potatoes that I wouldn’t mash smooth, and with the added mayonnaise, my customers thought I was the only diner in town that used real potatoes. And a secret ingredient (from the Chinese side of me) white pepper!

• lindsayballen February 2, 2014 at 1:27 pm - Reply Author

Haha that’s great! Nothing wrong with being a little sneaky if you’re giving the people what they want! Thanks for this tip!

4. i put fresh vegetables on the bottom of my alum foil pan, then make wild rice (2 boxes) folow instructions on box.. put rice on top of vegetables, then add chicken that has been dipped in parmesan cheese. put on top of rice. bake at 350 for 40 minutes. whole dinner in one pan.

5. Every once in awhile I cook something that my husband says, “You don’t need to make this again.” I’m sorry to say this was one of those recipes — he didn’t like the mayo taste on it.

• lindsayballen January 26, 2014 at 5:02 pm - Reply Author

I’m sorry to hear that, Mary. As you can see from the post I wrote, it wasn’t our favorite thing either…largely because of the thickness of the mayo. I think I would’ve liked it more if I’d used less. Oh well. Hope you find some other recipes on my blog that you and your husband enjoy!

6. I made this same mistake! Ugh! Next time, simply spread on as if the chicken were a sandwich bread and then add the bread crumbs.
    Also, if you like this, you might like french fried onion chicken recipe. The only difference I made with that was added bread crumbs to the crushed french fried onions, just so the chickens would be better breaded.
    HTH!

7. My family loves my easy chicken which I started making 45 years ago when my kids were very young!
    Put a cup of regular white rice in the bottom of a Dutch oven, stir in a can of onion soup and a soup can of water. Put chicken pieces on top, cover, and bake at 350 for an hour. Add a green vegetable and/or salad and fruit for an easy, healthy meal!

8. Nobody likes EVERY recipe – you just make what looks good. Sometimes its fabulous, sometimes not so much. No need to be nasty to the person sharing, just don’t make it any more, end of story. Thanks for taking the time, Lindsay

• lindsayballen March 3, 2014 at 7:19 pm - Reply Author

Thank you, Uncle Ben! As I wrote above, we thought this dish was ok, but not great. Everyone has different tastes and opinions. I appreciate your kind words!

9. I added sum catsup to mayo and then added the bread crumbs and grated parm cheese used rice and cream of mushroom soup then put chicken on top and baked. we loved it thanx for the recipe

10. My hubby doesn’t particularly like mayo, so to try the recipe you have mentioned above (and yes, it has made the rounds over the years, but it’s because it’s so tasty) I pit a blob of mayo in a food bag, dropped the dried chicken pieces in, smooth them around and then into the breadcrumb/parmesan mix and then onto my parchment paper lined baking sheets. Hubby loves it, it seals in the juices with a minimum of mayo, and it’s Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner! It’s faster (less prep time) and I have time for veggie and Salad prep!

11. Wow! Who put a burr under his saddle?! I love shared recipes. Doesn’t really matter where they came from. I have tried this one. It is good. Will try some of the variations I read above.

12. I made this twice first time with fresh breadcrumbs Parmesan and half the mayo the chicken was beautifully moist the next time I made it i put in a quarter cup of crushed tomatoes instead of the mayonaise the chicken was still moist next time I try this I’m going to put garlic and sour cream Thanks for recipe

13. Magnificent! I made this recipe last night, following all the directions exactly as stated, and it came out extremely well. I was surprised how moist the chicken meat was, given that this is white meat. The other ingredients made this very flavor-filled, especially the cheese. I followed the final tip, too, and finished the chicken off for 2-3 minutes in the broiler to brown the top a little more after baking.

14. My wife does not like mayo. I do all the cooking, and as the husband in this household, I try to please her wants, and her preferences. I used “Ranch Dressing” instead of the mayo. Delightful way to make chicken taste better. She really liked it, and so did I. Mike

• lindsayballen June 6, 2014 at 8:54 am - Reply Author

Awww that’s so sweet, Mike! You are a good husband! If you like ranch dressing and chicken, I also recommend Ranch Cheddar Chicken, another recipe on my blog that is one of my favorite chicken recipes! I hope you and your wife like it too!

• You, my friend, are a fabulous husband! KUDOS to you for working to make your wife happy. Other wives are proud of you and envious of her!

• Most of the OMG chicken recipes i have seen uses sour cream instead of Mayo. Maybe this is a good a;lternative to some of those who dont like the mayo.

15. Oh, this was awesome, Lindsay! I did change it from mayo to sour cream (my brain just can’t comprehend mayo on chicken tasting good- I know it is one of those things I just have to try and I will love it) and added a bit of minced garlic. I’ve always done this type of recipe by coating both sides and, as you would imagine, I have one soggy side. I’ve never just done the top, so I did this time. It was every bit as flavorful, came out with a lovely golden crispy top and my husband and I just loved it, with stuffed baked potatoes and field peas with snaps. This definitely goes to the top of my entrée folder of recipes and thanks for posting! I look forward to having this dish many, many times again.

• lindsayballen August 27, 2014 at 11:00 pm - Reply Author

Hi Windy! I’m so glad you and your husband liked the recipe! Thanks so much for your sweet comment and your encouraging words! I hope you find many more recipes on my site to try 🙂

16. It isn’t called stealing in the South. We call it sharing and what would this food world be if we didn’t do that? Some people are just born with an “I gotta cha” mentality. We have a saying about them down here and it involves a corn cob. LOL

17. If this tastes anything like a recipe I make, It will be amazing! It will take your chicken to a whole new level.

For my own personal recipe, I use sour cream instead of the mayo. I brush a little on both sides of my chicken. Then I bread them with Homemade breadcrumbs that I season with cayenne pepper, garlic powder and parsley. Once I shallow fry them, I top them with a mixture of Mexican cheese and bake until the cheese melts. OMG….it’s the perfect name for the chicken! I will try your version.

18. Seriously, if you need to print this recipe there is something seriously wrong with you. Also there’s this nifty thing called writing. You can actually do it with your hand! As far as the recipe goes, I can’t understand why you wouldn’t salt and pepper the chicken first. It’s the most basic principle of cooking. And yeah, garlic would be a good idea too.

19. I don’t care where the recipe comes from just want the recipe. Yes we all tweak recipes at some point or rather. Glad to note that the 1/2 cup might be too much mayo so will start out with 1/4 cup to see how I like….dont want a mouthful of mayo…just the flavor. I appreciate the comments from those who have tried the recipe and note the different ways to season.

20. Oh yes, I print all the recipes I like so I will have something to go through to see what I might want to fix for company. So many ideas cant remember them all. All recipes are glued to 4X6 cards and filed in a box by catergory. I can find in a minute when a friend calls to ask for a certain recipe….and my daughters call for recipes quite often.

• lindsayballen September 19, 2016 at 7:56 pm - Reply Author

My grandmother is the same way! She’s always clipping recipes out of newspapers and magazine and gluing them to a card in her recipe box. When I got married, she created a cookbook as a wedding gift, and she contacted all the members of my family to get recipes from them. It’s a cherished gift!

21. My family lives this chicken recipe! They call it creamy chicken and would eat it evey week if I’d make it for them! Highly recommend!