For the past week or so, my husband and I have been craving pizza. I can’t explain it, but every time a commercial for Domino’s or something would come on, our mouths would water. And you may be wondering why we didn’t just give in to our craving and order a pizza. Well, we like to be frugal and save money by always cooking our meals rather than eating out. Plus, those pizzas are wwaaaay unhealthy and my hubby is trying to lose some weight. Not to mention, the price for pizza delivery has gotten ridiculous because of gas prices and all.
So all that led to me trying to find a way to satisfy our pizza craving without ordering delivery. And thus, the pepperoni loaf swooped in for the rescue. I’ve made this before a long time ago, and now seemed like the perfect time to revive it. It’s extremely simple to make and low fat too! It works great as an entree, but you could also serve it in smaller slices as an appetizer. It would also make excellent football party food. Pizza is always a perfect match for football, but this is much more clean and finger-food friendly than a regular pizza. We LOVE this dish and it definitely cured us of our pizza craving!
You could easily add other toppings to the pepperoni if you like. Diced onions and peppers, crumbled sausage, any topping you like as long as you can still roll up the dough.
- 1 can of refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 tsp dry ground mustard
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 c shredded part skim mozzarella
- pepperoni slices (I use turkey pepperoni because it's low-fat)
- 1 egg white
- Marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Flatten the pizza dough on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle seasonings evenly over dough. Then top with cheese and pepperoni.
- Roll up the dough lengthwise and lay seam side down. Brush egg white onto dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with warm marinara or spaghetti sauce for dipping.