I’m gonna tell it like it is: THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST THINGS I’VE EVER EATEN!! No lie…you have to try this dish. I’ve posted nearly 200 hundred recipes, and this is one of the best ones yet.
If you are a Mac N Cheese fan (and really, who isn’t?) then you seriously need to put this dish on your meal plan ASAP. It is so rich and creamy and full of flavor. The shrimp takes it from a side dish to a main dish and really diversifies the flavors. I seriously cannot say enough about this dish. It just has such a decadent, fancy taste. It’s like you’re eating mac and cheese at a really high brow restaurant.
The ONLY thing I might change about this dish is that I’d probably add more panko crumbs. I love that crunchy topping, but the amount in the recipe didn’t even sufficiently cover the top of the pasta. That’s my opinion. This stuff was so good, I just can’t wait to make it again! Make this recipe and let me know what you think! I hope you like it as much as I did!
- 1 lb. pasta (any medium shape like penne or rotini)
- 1 lb. raw shrimp (31-40 ct.), peeled and deveined, cut in half
- 10 oz. feta cheese, crumbled and divided
- Zest of 1 lemon, divided
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs (increase this amount if you want more of the crunchy topping!)
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped, divided
- 5 tbsp. butter, divided
- 4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 8 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the pasta until al dente according to the package directions. Drain well; set aside.
- Add the raw shrimp to the warm pasta and toss together. The heat from the pasta will partially cook the shrimp.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400˚ F. In a small bowl, combine a handful of the feta, a pinch of the lemon zest, the panko, 2 teaspoons of the parsley and 1 tablespoon of the butter, melted. Toss with a fork to combine; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour to form a paste. Cook 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly, until light golden brown. Whisk in the milk. Continue to heat the mixture, stirring frequently, until it bubbles and thickens, about 5 minutes.
- As soon as the sauce has thickened, remove from the heat and stir in the remaining feta, Gruyere, remaining parsley, remaining lemon zest, dill, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the pasta and shrimp; toss well to coat.
- Transfer the mixture to a lightly greased 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumb-feta mixture evenly over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbling. (You may want to broil it just a minute or two to get it nice and browned, but make sure you watch it carefully!) Remove from the oven and let cool 5-10 minutes before serving.
Source: Annie’s Eats