It’s not often that I eat salads for dinner. They’re good and all, but they usually just don’t fill me (or my husband) up. This salad is definitely worthy of being a main dish, though. It was not only filling but also REALLY good!
My favorite part of this dish was the chipotle ranch dressing. It was SO easy to make and is actually low cal! Typically I smother salads in Ranch dressing, meaning whatever healthiness I was trying to achieve by eating a salad goes out the window. Ranch has like 14 g of fat per 2 tablespoons, so yeah, it’s really unhealthy. However, this dressing is made with greek yogurt and light mayo, AND it was really good! I mean, usually I don’t like any dressing other than Hidden Valley Ranch, but this stuff was GOOD.
I loved having the tortilla chips in the salad. They were like Mexican croutons. The chicken and the veggies all loaded up in this thing really make it fill you up. We LOVED it. You could also easily leave out the chicken to make it vegetarian-friendly. My one complaint is that it doesn’t really do well as leftovers. I wanted to eat it for lunch but it was all soggy and wilted. Guess that’s salad for ya.
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 can sweet yellow corn (or 1 cup frozen corn, thawed)
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 head ice berg lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp ranch seasoning
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients together, except the tortilla chips.
- In a small bowl stir all dressing ingredients together. Pour dressing over salad. Toss to combine, then gradually add more dressing until it is dressed to your liking. Top with tortilla chips.
Source: Greens N Chocolate