Lazy Cake Cookies

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce to you one of the easiest and yummiest desserts ever.  The Lazy Cake Cookies.  Or the Lazy Cookie Cake.  Whichevs.  It’s like a really thick, soft cookie!

I don’t bake desserts all too often.  It’s usually only for special occasions like birthdays or holidays.  If I baked desserts as frequently as I craved them, I’d be 300 pounds.  Typically, since I only bake desserts for special occasions, I try to make those desserts special as well.  For events like Valentine’s Day and anniversaries, I go all out on the chocolate decadence.  As a result, a lot of my dessert recipes are…well…pretty involved.

Well, fear not, dear readers!  These cake cookies (or cookie cake?) are SO easy you will probably wish you didn’t know about it (see comment about being 300 pounds above).  It only takes about 5 minutes to prep and then 20 minutes to bake. Seriously…the “Lazy” part of the title is very accurate.

You can also use ANY flavor of cake mix and small candy to mix in, so be creative! Check out the comments below to see some awesome cake mix/topping combinations (chocolate cake with peanut butter chips, red velvet cake with white chocolate chips, German Chocolate cake with pecans, etc.)

I also love how I can use this recipe for various seasons and holidays! I’ve made these for Easter, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and 4th of July! Thankfully, there is an M&M color for every holiday, so it’s easy to just toss some seasonally appropriate M&Ms in the batter and you’ve got a festive dessert! Here are some examples, but the possibilities are endless!

Lazy Cake Cookies

Yields: 12 servings

Lazy Cake Cookies

Ingredients

• 1 box yellow or white cake mix
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 5 Tbsp melted butter
  • 2 cups M&M's or mini chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Mix together all ingredients and spread into a greased 9x13 pan.
  3. Bake for 20 minutes.

Notes

*This would be AWESOME with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!

*One commenter said "I froze these and then a week later, defrosted them. They came out great with no loss of taste or texture!" so these should be good for freezing!

Source: I’m a Lazy Mom

233 thoughts on “Lazy Cake Cookies

1. It looks like a chocolate chip cookie – kind of like the big ones in the store that are decorated for birthdays (minus all the frosting). Looks yummy.

2. I have made this 3 times already, my son and his friends love it and I am in a bunco group that meets 1 time each month and they love it too..So easy to make and a big hit! thank you for the recipe. 🙂

• I tried this recipe last night and it turned out great! I did need to a 1/4 cup of water…. I believe this is because I had a larger cake mix. I topped it off with a scoop of ice cream, chocolate sauce, Carmel sauce, and walnuts. Better than a restaurant desert!

3. This sounds really fantastic, however, using the cake mix do you add the liquid as on the cake mix box or no?
    Thanks for your post!!

4. Could this be made with strawberry cake mix or chocolate cake mix? Also, have you tried it with only real butter or would margarine work as well?

• lindsayballen 18 December, 2013 at 10:37 pm - Reply Author

Oh girl, I always use margarine! So go ahead and save yourself some calories! As for the other flavors of cake mix, I have not tried them. It makes sense that it would still turn out well though. If you try it, please let us know how it is!

• I made it with Chocolate cake mix and it was good! Thought about doing white chocolate chips after I had already added the chocolate chips. Will try next time. Super easy! I also was able to cut mine into 24 and they are still a decent size. Thanks for sharing.

• lindsayballen 5 June, 2015 at 8:28 am - Reply Author

Awesome! I love hearing everyone’s variations with different flavor cake mixes! Thanks for sharing!

5. I bet Chocolate cake mix with the white chocolate chips would be good to!!! I’ll let you know when I get that “project” done! lol Right now I do have the yellow cake mix and M&M’s… so thats what I will use this time, also will add some chopped pecans to, because I always put them in my cookies. Thanks for this recipe!

6. Nice easy recipe. For years my grandchildren have been making many variations of this recipe when they visit me. For more ideas check out The Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn, copyright 1999. The Duncan Hines website also has quite a few recipes for cookies using a cake mix.

• I made these a couple days ago and they turned out dry. Do you have any suggestions? I followed the recipe but I’m still unsure as to what may have happened.

• lindsayballen 29 January, 2014 at 9:57 am - Reply Author

Hmmm I’m not sure what happened. Maybe it was just overcooked a little? I would try reducing the baking time to see if that helps.

• I’ve noticed that not all cake boxes are the same measurements in ounces. Maybe compare next time you shop and by the lesser ounces. Also adding nuts can dry some things out. I have mine in the oven now, used choc cake, white chips and walnuts. This is first time making it

7. OK, just put these in the oven. My daughters fifth grade teacher made them for her class and she said they were great, so I just had her make a batch!! Can’t wait to try them. I have triplets plus two older kids so easy and simple is GOOD!

• lindsayballen 7 February, 2014 at 11:31 am - Reply Author

That’s so nice of your daughter’s teacher to bring them homemade treats! Hope your whole family loves them!

8. Those look delicious! I think I will give them a try tonight. One question, did you use yellow or white cake mix in the picture above?

• lindsayballen 7 April, 2014 at 7:12 pm - Reply Author

I used yellow cake. I thought it might resemble a cookie more so than white cake. I’ve never tried the white though so I’m no sure if it looks any different.

9. I have made these several times before and have turned out delish!!! I have also made them with chocolate cake mix and white chocolate chips and it was still very good! However it was not as soft as when I used to white or yellow cake mix!! But it was still yummy either way! 🙂 Happy Baking!

10. Stephanie Burns 25 May, 2014 at 6:49 pm - Reply

Mine are cool I on my counter right now. They seem a bit gooey in the center so I hope they weren’t under cooked!! (They were in the oven about 22 minutes) Next time I think I will use chocolate cake mix and a mixture of chocolate and peanut butter chips.

11. IN have used devils food cake, with cherries and chocolate chips..awesome! Also I have used chocolate cake mix with nuts and chocolate chips..awesome! I have used white cake mix with cherries and chocolate chips..awesome! I’m making one now with yellow cake mix, butterscotch chips and DK chocolate Chips…awesome Kids live the funfetti with the mnm’s Really the possibilities are endless

• lindsayballen 27 May, 2014 at 10:49 pm - Reply Author

Wow I definitely haven’t tried that many variations, but I’ll try to experiment more like you have.

12. MARYANN WHITBECK 1 June, 2014 at 9:29 pm - Reply

I’ve done several cake flavors and all were good. My latest is a dark chocolate cake mix, chunk chocolate pieces and ounce of Amaretto. Yummy!

13. Hi Lindsay!
    I’m on a diabetic diet as I am hypoglycemic and I think I am going to try this with a Sugarfree cake mix. It is sweetened with Splenda and makes a delicious chocolate cake….Pillsbury is the brand. I have some sugar free chocolate chips and may try some pecans or slivered almonds in it! Sugarfree vanilla ice cream sounds good on top of it! Have you heard of anyone trying it this way? Thank you so much for the recipe….I’m anxious to try it!

• lindsayballen 10 September, 2014 at 4:38 pm - Reply Author

Hi Karen! I actually haven’t gotten any feedback from anyone else who has tried it that way. But if it makes a delicious cake, it seems like it should make delicious cake cookies too! Let us know how it turns out!

14. Hello Linsay!
    I made it with the Sugarfree Pillsberry cake mix and Sugarfree chocolate chips and it was so delicious! It was rich! I think this weekend I will make it with only a cup of the chocolate chips and use a cup of chopped pecans. It was like a chocolate chip brownie ….only Sugarfree and didn’t effect my sugar. Even my husband loved them and doesn’t have to watch his sugar! Thank you so much for this recipe!!

• lindsayballen 17 September, 2014 at 8:40 am - Reply Author

Hi Karen! I am so glad the sugar-free version was a success! Thanks for sharing your comment so that others who need/want a sugar-free version know what to expect 🙂

15. I just made these for a card game with chocolate cake and peanut butter chips… I made the regular ones and everyone loved them. These look delicious..

16. I have made these with white cake mix with cinnamon chips and put vanilla icing on top. Delish!!! Taste just like a sweet roll.

• lindsayballen 12 December, 2014 at 7:56 am - Reply Author

Kat, I don’t know whether or not oil would be a good substitute for butter in this recipe since I’ve never tried it. But if you try it, please let us know how it turns out!

17. These look easy and yummy..i was looking for a bar cookie to put into Christmas gifts and think this one will work great, maybe with the holiday version of chocolate chips 🙂 Thank you!

18. Someone in our office brought these in today and OMG! They were sooooooooooo good! Do you know approx. how many calories are in one?

19. Has anyone tried this at high altitude? I’m in the mountains and am trying to figure out what modifications I should make.

20. I made this for a gathering because of the rave reviews. I thought it would be hard to get raves with such a simple recipe, but I did! I got a call asking for the recipe. One thing- I baked it a bit longer until light golden. The surface was a bit pock-marked looking. I mixed some more mini chocolate chips with coconut and sprinkled it on top, then let it cool. They really loved them and they were super easy.

21. I have made these, & I’m sure you will be pleased with them. Every year for my daughter’s birthday, she wants a cookie cake. After I made this, she wants me to fix this for her birthday from now on!

• lindsayballen 12 February, 2015 at 9:17 pm - Reply Author

I don’t blame her! Every Valentine’s Day, I bake my husband a decadent, fancy dessert. I asked him if he had any preference as to what I make him these year and he said, “That cookie thing with the word ‘lazy’ in the name” Haha so much for fancy and decadent!

22. Carla Bisagni-Holmes 28 February, 2015 at 1:06 pm - Reply

I’ve made these once before with Valentine M&M’s, devil’s food cake mix, and milk chocolate chips…like a triple chocolate brownie! I also just made some today using milk chocolate chips, chocolate fudge cake mix, mini marshmallows and a bit of coconut, and used 1 stick of butter. A friend of mine who is teaching a coworker how to cook today will be bringing samples of these to her as well, and I’ll be giving him a copy of the recipe to show her. It’s a great recipe that can be customized any way you want…I’m thinking red velvet with white chips, dark chocolate with mint chips or peppermint patties, or even spice with pumpkin spice or cinnamon chips! These are so good and a great recipe for anyone…even kids could make these.

23. Super easy to make and delicious! You can add in any candies, chocolate or peanut butter chips and even crushed andies mints! We use chocolate chunks, white chocolate chips and make peanut butter nutella frosting for the top. To die for with that frosting 🙂 Promise!

24. This is SO easy – I made with white chocolate chips and white cake mix…my husband said they were the “best blondies he had ever eatern”. Shhhh…don’t tell him how easy this was!

25. I made this “cake” for a Friday night happy hour and it was a hit. I am looking forward to trying these others suggestions too. I do have a question. My chocolate chips melted because of the melted butter. Do you put the chips in last instead? Thanks for the great recipe!

• lindsayballen 18 May, 2015 at 11:06 pm - Reply Author

Hmmm I’ve never had that issue, and I usually just dump it all in, one ingredient after the other. You could let your melted butter cool a little bit before mixing to make sure the chips don’t melt. Hope that helps!

• lindsayballen 26 May, 2015 at 8:45 am - Reply Author

Nope! There’s no need for the oil and other ingredients called for on the cake box. Just mix together the ingredients listed, there’s no need for a certain order.

• I’ve made this twice just using the cake powder, eggs, butter. It’s been very thick, can hardly spread in a pan. So should I be using the oil and whatever else the cake MIX calls for?

• lindsayballen 26 August, 2015 at 10:08 pm - Reply Author

The dough is definitely super thick when you’re spreading in the pan. Sometimes I just use my hands instead of a spatula to get it done easier. No need to use the oil or anything else though, as it should all turn out deliciously once it’s baked!

26. Hi, These look so easy to make and too easy to eat! But could you please tell me how many grams (or any measurement) the box of cake mix needs to be please, thanks Helen 🙂

• lindsayballen 5 June, 2015 at 8:26 am - Reply Author

Hi Helen. To be honest I thought all boxed cake mixes had the same amount in them, but after seeing your question I thought I’d google it. It turns out that boxed caked mixes range from 15.25 oz to 18.25 oz! I never knew. But to answer you question, I really think any box within that range would provide excellent results.

• lindsayballen 7 June, 2015 at 4:12 pm - Reply Author

You don’t need to make the cake mix as directed on the box (with eggs, oil, etc). Just simply pour the powder into a bowl and mix with the other ingredients in the recipe.

27. I am planning on trying to make these tonight but with gluten free cake mix and applesauce as a substitute for the butter (my friend has gluten and dairy allergies). Do you think this will work or what would you recommend?

• lindsayballen 18 July, 2015 at 12:07 pm - Reply Author

Hi Maggie, I have heard of using applesauce as a replacement for butter, and I think it should work fine with gluten free cake mix. Let us know how it turned out!

28. Made these this am for a church concert – PERFECT! Followed the recipe exactly. I’m not a baker, but I am now!

• lindsayballen 26 August, 2015 at 10:05 pm - Reply Author

Thanks Joan! Glad you liked them! Baking is easy with “cheat” recipe like this one :), and there is nothing wrong with that!

29. I reduced butter to 4 tbls and added 1/3 cup peanut butter …. Yum! Great recipe ….so fast and quick cleanup (that’s huge in my book!)

30. Hi! I used my own homemade make ahead “cake mix” from a recipe on food.com. It’s just 2 cups flour, 1.25 cup sugar, 2.5 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 cup shortening. Then you store it in a ziploc. Anyway, I followed your instructions, but I used a glass 9×13 dish to bake it in. After 20 minutes It was still gooey. Is it the glass pan? Or maybe my DIY cake mix? how long do you let them cool before cutting? Maybe they would have firmed up.

31. I used this recipe as a base guideline to make 5 varieties for a Halloween party. I called them cookie bars and they were a huge hit. I made the following:
    1. red velvet cookie bars- red velvet cake mix with white chocolate chips and pecans
    2. snickers cookie bars- chocolate cake mix with snickers pieces and caramel bits
    3. s’mores cookie bars- yellow cake mix with graham cracker pieces, hersheys chocolate pieces, chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows
    4. ultimate cookie bars- white cake mix with chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, caramel bits, and pecans
    5. everything cookie bars- white cake mix with chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, caramel bits, and shredded coconut

They were all so delicious and so easy to make. I have a ton more ideas and plan to make more for Thanksgiving then again to give as gifts for Christmas.

32. My son loves these even more with some butterscotch chips in then. Right now I have some in the oven. Didn’t have chocolate chips so used the butterscotch. Love how easy and tasty they are. I have gotten my mom into making these as well.

33. I made them this weekend with strawberry cake mix and dark chocolate chips. I also added some fudge frosting to the top. Really good. Tonight for a coworkers birthday, I’m making chocolate with chocolate chips, and I may add some peanut butter as well.

• lindsayballen 27 January, 2016 at 1:47 pm - Reply Author

Ooo I really like the combo of strawberry and dark chocolate. I’ll definitely give that a try! Thanks for sharing!

34. So I just made this and it’s more cakier than I want it..has the soft cake texture in the inside..is this how it’s supposed to be? When i cut it into pieces it was like cake too

• lindsayballen 28 January, 2016 at 11:22 am - Reply Author

Hi Nazia. Mine has never really turned out cakey. It’s not exactly the same texture as a cookie cake, but it’s definitely not crumbly like cake either. Sorry it didn’t turn out how you were expecting!

35. Ahem. Made a couple of changes…best dessert in a long time? I think yes. To the melted butter I added a dash of vanilla and about a tablespoon of instant coffee granules. I used a devil’s food cake mix, and used some espresso chips I had leftover from the holidays…served them with vanilla bean ice cream and dark chocolate ganache…HEAVENLY. Highly recommend if you love coffee like I do.

36. I’m a bit late to this Cake Cookie party, but so happy I found your site are recipe! Have you ever made this ahead of time and frozen it, to be used a few weeks later? If so, how well does it freeze? Does it lose any flavor or texture after freezing? I plan to cool it after baking, wrap it first in plastic wrap, then in foil, and putting it in a Ziploc baggie and freezing it like that. Thank you so much!

• lindsayballen 1 May, 2016 at 4:04 pm - Reply Author

Hi Jess. I haven’t ever frozen it, but I like your idea! If you give it a try, please let us know how it turns out!

• Hi again,
        I did freeze these and then a week later, defrosted them. They came out great with no loss of taste or tenure!
        Thanks!!

37. Do I only put the ingredients that you have listed or do I need to add the stuff on the back of the cake box too??

• lindsayballen 1 May, 2016 at 3:58 pm - Reply Author

Only the ingredients listed. You don’t need the other ingredients listed on the cake mix box.

38. My family and friends beg for these cookies!! We love them!! Making some tonight for friends that are coming over!!

39. Just wanted to say thank you for this awesome recipe. I have made these about a half dozen times now. I love this recipe after a long, hard week at work. Such a nice, easy treat! I used yellow cake and mini m&m candies, but can’t wait to try some of the other varieties in the comments. Thanks again!

• lindsayballen 25 May, 2016 at 12:22 pm - Reply Author

Hi Jenni! So glad this recipe can bring you some joy after a tough week of work! I totally know the feeling. Have fun experimenting with other variations!

40. I added toasted pecans with it and Trader Joes vanilla bourbon cake mix because it was all I had in the pantry and they came out so good!!

• lindsayballen 26 May, 2016 at 4:50 pm - Reply Author

Hi Lyndsay. I think you could use 2 9-inch round pans instead of 1 9×13. However, this dough is sticky, so it won’t really slide out of the pan and onto a plate like “giant cookie.” You could use springform pans instead though if you’re going for that look. I think using round pans would require you to reduce the cooking time, but I’m not sure by how much. Just be sure to keep an eye on it! Let us know how it turns out.

• Wanted to update you! They turned out amazing as cookie cakes! I used the Jiffy pizza pans (di(disposable) . I’ve already had requests for more 🙂 would love to share the photos of them if you care to see! Thanks so much for this recipe!

• lindsayballen 23 June, 2016 at 8:58 pm - Reply Author

Thanks, Sheri! I hope you have fun making these with your grandkids! Some of my favorite childhood memories are cooking with my grandmother 🙂

41. Hello!

I was just wondering if you can clarify that when you dump all the ingredients together you dump the cake mix as is and do not follow the cake mix directions?

Thank you, sounds yummy!

• lindsayballen 29 June, 2016 at 9:07 am - Reply Author

Hi Ilana,
      That’s correct! You don’t need to follow the cake mix directions, and you don’t need the other ingredients listed on the cake box (like oil,) just the ones listed in the recipe.

42. I’ve made these with milk chocolate cake mix, m&m’s, and milk chocolate chips, white cake with peppermint, devil’s food with Andes mint chips, yellow with milk chocolate and coconut (like Samoa cookies), devil’s food with chocolate cherry chips, and yellow with mini semisweet chocolate chips and coconut. They’ve never failed me yet! I bet red velvet with white chips would be amazing!

• lindsayballen 30 June, 2016 at 9:15 am - Reply Author

I believe it’s 18.25 oz. However, I’ve made this several times and just grabbed any ol’ cake mix without looking at the ounces, so I doubt it would make a difference if you got a mix that’s 16.25 oz.

43. I made these fab bars for a Labor Day cookout and they came out Delish! Thanks god such a easy and simple recipe. Will make again!

• lindsayballen 31 July, 2016 at 8:29 pm - Reply Author

Nope! Just follow the ingredients as written in the recipe and ignore what’s on the box. Hope you like it!

44. I make these all the time and they are so yummy. Today I added in a box white chocolate pudding powder and it made the cookies more moist. They were a hit! Thanks for the easy peasy, my go-to recipe!

• lindsayballen 19 August, 2016 at 3:22 pm - Reply Author

Kayla, I like the way you think! I’ve used pudding power before when baking cookies, but it never occurred to me to combine it with the cake mix in this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

45. I made these last week and they were, easy, quick, no mess and my grandkids loved them… so did I Plan on making them next week with the chocolate cake mix. I know they will be so good.

• lindsayballen 26 August, 2016 at 9:14 am - Reply Author

Hey Debbie, I honestly have no idea! It’s basically the same as cookies, just thicker. So if cookies ship well, then my assumption is yes these would be fine. Hope that helps!

46. I have made these many times with many different cake mix flavors and combos of chips ad nuts. I have found that they make up best with the Duncan Hines cake mixes. They are a hit at work and so easy!

47. Oh my; looking for something easy tonight and gave these a whirl. Tasty! Thank you…will definitely be trying a few different combos on this one.

48. What I like about this recipe are the varieties you can make with different mixes and different add-ins.

I love your blog…the recipes are delicious, easy and NORMAL. thanks so much.

• lindsayballen 5 December, 2016 at 8:30 pm - Reply Author

Thanks so much Michele! I’m so glad you’ve found my blog to be helpful. Thank you for the sweet comment!

49. Girl! My daughter came home on Friday afternoon and told me she had a cookie exchange in the morning. She needed 8 dozen cookies… O…. M…. G. I am NOT a baker. Your recipe/idea worked like a charm! Thank you.

50. Made these on a whim (and a pregnancy craving). They were so simple and delicious! I used a butter cake mix and chocolate chips. Great flavor and texture. The best compliment came from the 5-year old who told me no fewer than 5 times today that she wants this for her birthday cake. Awesome! Thank you!

• lindsayballen 30 January, 2017 at 9:42 am - Reply Author

Thanks Laura! Glad to know this recipe satisfied your pregnancy craving and your 5 year old :-). A funfetti cake mix would be awesome for a birthday cake!

51. Change the cake to devil’s food chocolate, use white chocolate chips instead of chocolate and out made these even more delightful. Both ways id’s awesome

• lindsayballen 10 February, 2017 at 8:53 am - Reply Author

Man, that does sound like a heavenly flavor combo! Or devilish might be more fitting given the devil’s food cake 🙂

52. As much as I love to cook, I do not like to bake. Your Lazy Cake Cookies have saved me. I always have the ingredients or some that will work and everyone thinks I’ve gone to so much trouble 🙂

I call myself a lazy cook because I shorten every step possible and the amount of cookies this makes lets me have a few extra (providing I hide them in time). Thanks much for the idea.

• lindsayballen 13 February, 2017 at 1:24 pm - Reply Author

Thanks Kathy! It’s pretty great to find a recipe that lets us be lazy AND also get lots of compliments from people thinking we slaved away in the kitchen :). So glad you’ve enjoyed these cookies!

53. Thanks for the recipe! I make cakes- lots of different elaborate cakes, but when my 8 to be 9 year old son told me he wanted a cookie cake for his Birthday, I was like, well those flat cakes just won’t cut it. So I love this idea! I am going to try to make a 12 inch round cake, placing a wet wrap around the edges and a flower nail in middle for even cooking. Hoping to create a double layer cake with icing in middle and frosting covering and a cute design on top. Hoping to look like a Birthday cake but is cookie cake…. hmmm

• lindsayballen 17 February, 2017 at 4:27 pm - Reply Author

Thanks Tina! I recently did something very similar to what you are describing and used this recipe from Life Love and Sugar. It was AMAZING! I will be posting about it on Normal Cooking soon! Whatever you do, I’m sure your son’s birthday cake will be DELICIOUS!