Ahh pizza…the delightful dish that we enjoy no matter what age we are. From birthday parties are Chuck E. Cheese, to lazy Friday nights, to all-nighter study sessions in your college dorm room, pizza has always and will always be a classic comfort food.
Until now, I’ve never really strayed very far from “traditional” pizzas. I’ve always known that unique and even unusual pizza recipes exist, but I’ve never had any desire to try them. Give me a meat-lover’s pizza any day! Well…that was until I saw a recipe for this shrimp and pesto pizza. The images just looked so good! And I love all the ingredients so it would stand to reason that I would love this pizza. And I am SSSSOOOO glad I tried it! This surpassed anything I could have imagined. My husband and I both were totally in love just after the first bite.
Now that I’ve experimented with this pizza and loved it, I will probably be trying some other “odd” combinations in the future! Have you ever tried an unusual pizza topping combo? What should be my next pizza experiment?
- 1/2 lb small shrimp
- Garlic & Herb seasoning (or any seasoning of your choice)
- 1 can refrigerated pizza dough
- 6 oz. pesto (my store sells it in 8 oz. jars)
- 1 1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 of a 3 oz. package of real bacon pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out pizza dough onto a pizza stone or sprayed pan. Pre-bake the dough for 8 minutes. (These instructions were written on the Pillsbury pizza dough can. Make sure that if you use a different brand to follow whatever instructions are listed on the can).
- Meanwhile, sprinkle shrimp with seasoning and saute over medium heat for about 30 seconds on each side. You don't want to cook them all the way through because they will continue cooking in the oven.
- Take the pre-baked dough out of the oven (leave oven on), and spread pesto sauce on top, leaving about 1 inch around the edge for the crust. Top with mozzarella, bacon pieces, and shrimp.
- Bake for an additional 6-10 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
Adapted From: Jay Mim Photo Blog