This is one recipe that meets ALL of my top criteria for a great meal: 1) Easy – check! 2) Healthy – check! 3) Delicious – check! 4) Quick…uhhh ok so maybe not all. But hey, the actual prep time you spend on this meal is only about 5 minutes, so in that way, I guess it is quick. The crock-pot does the rest of the work for the remaining 8 hours!
Sometimes, I have a problem with meat drying out when I cook it in a crock-pot. However, with this particular recipe, I didn’t experience that at all! The meat was moist and delicious. I wish I’d taken a picture of the shredded meat by itself. After all, who doesn’t like a picture of mounds of meat? (Vegetarians, don’t answer that.)
I was very pleased with how well this turned out. Once your meat is done in the slow cooker, all that’s left is to toss it in a tortilla and top it with whatever you like! Plus, it makes me feel good knowing that such a delicious meal is actually still pretty healthy, overall! The original blog where I found this recipe is authored by a girl who lost over 135 pounds. These pork tacos don’t make you feel like you’re missing out on those calories at all though, because it’s so good!
- 1 lb pork tenderloin
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce, or one 12 oz jar salsa (the salsa gives more Mexican flavor. You can use hot salsa for more kick if you want.)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 flour tortillas
- Place pork in the base of your slow cooker. In a small bowl, stir together all remaining ingredients, except tortillas. Pour evenly over pork.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- When done, shred the pork using two forks, pulling against the grain of the meat.
- Serve in warmed tortillas with optional toppings: shredded lettuce, sliced bell peppers, chopped tomatoes, black olives, grated cheddar cheese, and sour cream.
Nutrition Info is for 1 serving of pork only, no tortilla or toppings
Source: Can You Stay for Dinner