So…this dish kind of has a backstory. Ya see, this was originally supposed to be a Chicken Pesto Mozzarella SANDWICH. Not a wrap. This is actually what it was supposed to look like:
Yeeeeeaaahhh…obviously we had some modifications along the way. Ya see, I had bought some delicious ciabatta bread from the bakery at my grocery store. But each night I planned on making this, things kept coming up, and I kept having to postpone it. Eventually, I was finally ready to make the sandwich. So I cooked the chicken, shredded the cheese, and did all the prep. Then when I tried to assemble the sandwich, I discovered that my delicious ciabatta bread had grown lots of not-so-delicious green and white mold on it.
I’ll admit, I was upset. I hate when things don’t go as planned! But luckily, I had some tortillas, so I just threw all the sandwich filling into the wrap, and toasted it in the panini press. So, I’ll give you the recipe for the wrap as I did it. But I’ll also include some instructions for making the sandwich, if you’d prefer it that way!
Even though this dish came out totally unexpected, this wrap was SO GOOD! Like CRAZY GOOD! I really loved it! The combo of chicken, pesto, roasted red peppers, and melted mozzarella is amazing.
- 1/4 cup (about 2 ounces) pesto sauce
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup sliced bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 12 large basil leaves
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Combine pesto and mayonnaise in a small bowl, stirring to blend.
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook for 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken to cutting board, and cool slightly. Cut chicken lengthwise into thin slices.
- To assemble wraps, spread pesto-mayo onto tortilla. Top with chicken, peppers, basil leaves, and cheese. Roll tightly.
- Spray wrap all over with cooking spray. Place seam-side down in panini press and cook until golden brown and crisp.
- To make a sandwich instead of a wrap, use a loaf of ciabatta bread instead of tortillas. Cut loaf in half horizontally and lay cut side up on a baking sheet. Broil for just a minute to toast bread slightly. Spread pesto-mayo on bread, top with chicken, basil leaves and cheese. Broil another minute longer until cheese is melted.
- You could use refrigerated chicken strips or rotisserie chicken instead of cooking your own
Inspired by: Yummly