Today’s recipe is one of my husband’s FAVORITE side dishes! I enjoy it a lot too. Especially cuz I chow down on all the extra dried pineapple while I make it :-).
I typically don’t make side dishes that use recipes because I really only want to focus on the recipe I have for the main dish. However, this one is the exception! It makes the perfect tropical side dish to go along with summery meals. I love it with Island Chicken, Cilantro Lime Shrimp, and Grilled Pineapple Pork Chops. But it would go great with lots of stuff like blackened fish or jerk-style chicken!
Even though this is a little more involved than my usual completely no-work sides, it’s still not bad. Really the only work required is chopping the pineapple, cilantro, and onions and zesting the lime. But once you’ve done that, it’s just as simple as regular rice!
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup chopped dried pineapple
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 1 1/4 tablespoons lime juice
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice and next 4 ingredients (rice through salt).
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat; stir in cilantro, onions, and juice.
Source: My Recipes