Have you ever made a “chicken burger” before? Honestly it sounds a little like an oxymoron, cuz burgers usually mean beef. But hey, it’s not nearly as unnatural as a “black bean burger.” Vegans, I just don’t understand you.
To be honest, raw ground chicken kinda gives me the heebie jeebies. It’s gross looking and gross feeling. However, once they’re formed into patties and thrown on the grill, they transform into DELICIOUSNESS! I couldn’t wait to put this “burger” in my mouth!
The pepperjack cheese and chili powder are supposed to give this dish a bit of kick, but it really wasn’t spicy to me. So if you’re looking for more heat, you can add more chili powder or even throw in some cayenne pepper flakes. I REALLY loved the grilled pineapple slices combined with the cheese and the grilled flavor of the chicken. It definitely added a refreshing, summery taste to this dish! Make sure to grill this up before summer ends!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, divided
- 1 tsp chili powder, divided
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 pineapple rings
- 4 hamburger buns
- Combine the ground chicken, soy sauce, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp chili powder, seasoning salt, cumin, and garlic. Lightly mix with your hands and divide into 4 even balls. Form patties, making them slightly thinner in the middle and sprinkle with remaining paprika and chili powder.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Coat grates lightly with oil. Grill burgers over medium heat about 6 minutes per side. The burgers should flip easily when they are ready to turn, if they want to stick, give them another minute. Top with cheese for the last 1-2 minutes of cooking time to melt. Remove to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to rest. Grill buns if desired.
- For the pineapple, grill directly on the grates over medium heat. Carefully turn after 1-2 minutes. Assemble burgers and enjoy.
Source: Homemade by Holman