I’ll bet that if you live in the South (and probably most anywhere in the US), you’ve had something akin to the Broccoli, Chicken & Rice Casserole. It’s just such a simple and tasty classic! Naturally, anything with tons of melted cheese and covered in buttery crackers is going to garner a great deal of attention, and rightfully so!
We really loved this dish! I really like that it’s a whole meal in itself, and it’s so filling! Plus, with only a few ingredients, many of which you already have on hand, this is a great budget-friendly dish too. Like any casserole, it’s simple to put together, only taking about 10 minutes to prepare and then 30ish minutes to cook. Great for weeknights!
- 8 oz. bag of frozen broccoli, thawed
- 4 chicken tenderloins (or breasts, about 1 lb total)
- 1 1/2 c grated cheddar cheese
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1 c rice
- 3/4 c milk
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- Cut chicken into cubes and cook them halfway in a skillet with salt and pepper and set aside. It's okay that they're still pink inside, they'll finish cooking in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, cream of chicken, 1 cup of cheese, rice, and milk. Then add chicken.
- Pour mixture into a sprayed casserole dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Crush the Ritz crackers in a Ziploc bag. Mix together crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle on top of the casserole.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the rice is completely cooked and the casserole is bubbling.
Source: Table for Two