Another Friday, another football-friendly recipe! They say that scent is the sense most strongly tied to memory. I can believe it, because every time I smell barbecue pork, it reminds me of walking through Auburn’s campus on game day. Thousands of fans set up tents with their smokers and grills and make the air smell like one big giant BBQ House. Which by the way, is the name of my favorite BBQ restaurant in Auburn. If you’re ever in town, you should go there (ya can’t miss it…it’s the one with the statue of a pig wearing an Auburn jersey out front).
*sidenote: I REALLY miss being a college student
Anyways, these sandwiches are perfect for game day or any day! You only need 4 ingredients: pork, buns, root beer, and BBQ sauce. So simple! To be honest, I was a little afraid that the meat would dry out in the slow cooker, but it didn’t at all. I gotta say that I still prefer my pulled pork being cooked in a smoker rather than in a crock pot, but this is a much easier process than smoking. If you’re interested in trying the smoking method for cooking pulled pork, just click here for the recipe.
- 1 (2 lb) pork tenderloin
- 1 can (12 oz) of root beer
- 1 (18 oz) bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 8 burger buns
- Place the pork in the slow cooker. Pour root beer over the meat.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours. (Be aware that cook time will vary with your slow cooker. Mine only took about 5 hours.)
- Remove meat and shred with forks. (Careful! It will be hot!)
- Stir in BBQ sauce with shredded meat.
- Serve over hamburger buns.
Source: All Recipes