EVERYONE, STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING! THIS RECIPE IS SO LIFE CHANGING, IT DESERVES YOUR FULL ATTENTION! Yeah, you heard me…life changing. Ok so maybe that’s a slight exaggeration. But this dish is one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. It’s easily better than any pasta dish I’ve ever ordered at a restaurant.
For any of you looking for healthy, low fat recipes just go on ahead and search my Weight Watchers Recipes. But if you keep reading, you will surely be tempted to try this AMAZING dish that will certainly not aid you on your weight loss journey. But if you are not the calorie-counting type, this is for you!! It has all the ingredients that you hope to see: pasta, cheese, BACON, and more cheese. But hey it does have one healthy ingredient: spinach!
This is rather similar to my Crockpot Sausage & Tortellini Soup, which is also one of my favorite dishes (What can I say? I have a thing for tortellini). The soup is better suited as a hearty, warming meal on a cold night. Whereas this Tortellini Bake would be appropriate any time of year.
- 1 (12 oz) package tortellini
- 4 strips bacon
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 TB flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 2 cups chopped, fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook tortellini as directed on the package.
- Fry bacon in a pan. (Don't cook it in the microwave or in the oven because you'll need to make the sauce using the bacon grease). Once bacon has cooled, chop into bite-size pieces. Reserve bacon grease in pan.
- Add garlic to the grease and cook for a minute or two. Add flour and whisk for a minute. Add milk and mix until smooth. Add salt, pepper, lemon juice and basil and bring to a simmer.
- Drain tortellini and return it to the pot. Turn to low heat and add spinach. Then add most of the mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, and bacon (leaving enough to use as topping). Add sauce and stir until well combined.
- Pour into a 9x9 dish. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and bacon.
- Cover your dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Source: Lil Luna