Today’s recipe is one that I really enjoyed, and I hope you will too. There were several things that I liked about it. First, it only requires ONE PAN. That’s it. Well…that plus the spatula you use for stirring…but seriously that’s it. I love recipes like that! It just feels so efficient, and it’s nice to not spend more time washing dishes than actually preparing the meal.
And speaking of time, that brings me to the second thing I love about this dish: it only takes 20 minutes. Yup, you heard me. Less than 30 minutes for this awesome meal! Busy weeknight? Here’s your dinner solution!
Oh, you’re trying to lose weight? Watching what you eat? You think you can’t eat things with cheese or pasta? WRONG! Each serving of this is only 219 calories. Beat that! I mean, seriously, you can buy those little 200 calorie snack packs that have like 6 Cheez-its in them, or you can eat a whole serving of this cheesy, pasta goodness.
And I haven’t even mentioned how tasty this is! It was a big hit at the dinner table, and everyone loved it! This is definitely going into the dinner rotation.
- 1 pound ground Italian turkey sausage (my store didn't have ground turkey sausage, so I just used reduced fat Italian sausage)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz) Tomato Sauce-No Salt Added
- 1-1/4 cups hot water
- 8 ounces multigrain pasta, uncooked (I used penne, but bowtie or rotini would be good too. Use whatever pasta you like!)
- 1 pkg (6 oz) baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add sausage; cook until crumbled and no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and pasta. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach; stir until spinach wilts. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let sit for just another minute or two for cheese to melt slightly.
Source: Ready, Set, Eat