Happy Friday, everyone! This is a special week at our house. My husband’s birthday was last Saturday and mine was Wednesday. So last weekend was his celebration, and this weekend is mine! Both weekends have one thing in common though: FOOTBALL!
So since we were celebrating my hubby last week, I let him pick a birthday meal. He chose these honey chipotle chicken, which just so happens to be excellent football food. Great for grilling in beautiful fall weather! We munched on these puppies while we watched Auburn take down the Tennessee Vols! Victory tastes delicious!
Anyways, this chicken is super easy and only has 4 ingredients! Just make sure to plan ahead because these do need to marinate. I will give you a heads up that these are fairly spicy. It also has a sweetness from the honey, but you will definitely feel the heat from the chipotle peppers. Don’t let the spiciness scare you though. I’m not a big spicy food fan, and I enjoyed these. I wouldn’t have wanted them any spicier though. I recommend using only a few peppers in the sauce at first, test it, and then add more if you want more heat.
- 1 small can chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 C honey
- 4 chicken breasts (you can leave them whole or cut them into tenders like I did)
- optional: fresh green onions, chopped
- In a blender or food processor, blend together about 1/2 can (or maybe a little less) of chipotles in adobo sauce and the honey. Taste test the sauce. If you want it spicier, keep adding more chipotles until it is the spiciness you desire!
- Pour half of this mixture over the chicken breasts in a zip lock bag. Smoosh and squeeze the chicken and sauce until fully covered. Place in refrigerator and marinate for several hours.
- Grill the chicken over low heat until thoroughly cooked.
- Once the chicken is moments from being removed from the grill, brush with the remaining honey chipotle mixture.
- Just prior to serving, top with fresh chopped green onions.
Source: A Southern Fairy Tale