Crock-Pot Chicken & Dumplings

Crock Pot Chicken & Dumplings

For most people at this time of year, your crockpot becomes your favorite household item.  It’s just so versatile!  I use it to make soups/chili for dinner, dips for parties, and even hot chocolate!  I rarely get it out during warm weather months, but it’s used almost daily in the fall and winter.

Chicken & dumplings is a very hearty meal that sticks to your bones and warms you up.  This recipe uses canned biscuit dough which makes it SO much faster and easier than making your own dumplings.  My only complaint was that the dough didn’t entirely stay in “dumpling” form…meaning that they didn’t stay nice and round but kinda tore into random chunks of various sizes or strips of dough.  It’s not really a big deal because it tastes the same, but you should know that it won’t look much like dumplings.

Also, be aware that it’s VERY hard to tell when the biscuit dough is all the way cooked through.  Naturally, sitting in the crockpot with the other ingredients, they will get moist and soggy, which means it won’t really LOOK done.  Just test by cutting into a dumpling and make sure the dough is cooked through before serving.  Uncooked dough is not very appetizing.

Crock-Pot Chicken & Dumplings

Yields: 6 servings

Crock-Pot Chicken & Dumplings

Ingredients

• 2 Tbsp butter
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 large onion, finely diced
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 2 packages (10 count) of Grands Jr. biscuits
  • flour

Directions

1. Combine all ingredients except biscuits and flour in a greased slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover.
  2. Secure lid and cook for 5 hours on low.
  3. Using kitchen scissors, cut each biscuit into four pieces. Roll each biscuit piece in flour (to prevent them from sticking together), then drop into the slow cooker.
  4. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred. Return shredded meat into the slow cooker.
  5. Replace lid and cook on low for another 30 minutes, or until dough is fully cooked.

Soure: Key Ingredient

27 thoughts on “Crock-Pot Chicken & Dumplings

1. I do this all the time. However, I cut each biscuit into 6 pieces and only cook the dumplings on low for 30 minutes and never have issue with them coming apart. They are always cooked all the way through. Also, I never roll them in flour. I just stir them once or twice during the 30 min cook time. I also add some carrots & celery. Hope this helps for next time.

• lindsayballen 21 November, 2013 at 10:45 pm - Reply Author

Thanks for the tip! I have no idea why some of them weren’t very “dumpling” shaped. I think they were more flattened than shredded. But either way, it was delish!

2. Put your pizza cutter to work on the biscuits! It it much faster than scissors or a knife. I also don’t roll mine in flour, I toss the cans in the freezer for half an hour prior to cutting and then stir to prevent sticking. Once they are coated in the broth, they won’t stick together.

• lindsayballen 15 February, 2014 at 7:13 pm - Reply Author

War Eagle! Sorry about the glitch with the print version. I am in the process of updating some things, and that slipped through the cracks! Thanks for catching it. It should be fixed now.

• lindsayballen 24 February, 2014 at 8:59 pm - Reply Author

They can be frozen or fresh, either way will turn out well. The fresh will probably take a little less time to cook though.

3. This recipe is so delish and easy! I am not a very good cook and this is something I have made numerous time now. Thanks for sharing this!

• lindsayballen 27 May, 2014 at 10:51 pm - Reply Author

Thanks Shyla! I hope you find many more simple recipes on my blog that will help you feel more comfortable in the kitchen! Glad you liked this recipe 🙂

• lindsayballen 28 October, 2014 at 10:21 pm - Reply Author

Hi Ashley, I’m sorry your biscuits never cooked all the way! I honestly don’t know what else to try since you already tried cooking longer at a higher temp. Maybe try cutting the biscuits into smaller pieces?

• lindsayballen 4 November, 2014 at 7:55 pm - Reply Author

I’ve never tried that, but it seems like it would work! If they’re still frozen, you might just have to adjust for more time to allow it to cook through.

4. I have never made chicken and dumplings in the slow cooker, but I have made it in the oven. However, I make my own drop dumplings and use cream of mushroom soup and a large can of mushrooms. in it. You might also want to try the frozen potato dumplings. Chateau makes them. Another possibility for a substitution is cheese-filled ravioli or cheese filled tortellini.

• lindsayballen 27 September, 2015 at 7:48 pm - Reply Author

Thanks for the tips! I haven’t ever seen frozen potato dumplings, but now that I know they exist, I’ll keep an eye out for them!

5. I’m trying to make sense of this recipe. WHY would you add the cut-up biscuits (in Step #3) into the pot – along with the chicken at this point? Since the chicken now needs to be shredded, you’ll have to return the shredded chicken back into the pot anyways,….so (in my opinion) THAT would be the IDEAL time to add the the cut-up biscuits on top, and to then let them cook (on top) for the remaining 30 minutes. Nevertheless, it sounds tasty, but I’ll DEFINATELY make imine this way.

• lindsayballen 21 June, 2016 at 3:29 pm - Reply Author

That would be totally fine. I don’t know if it really makes much difference, but if that’s what you think is easier then have at it! Let us know if you try it out and think it helps the biscuits cook through better than if they weren’t on top.

6. Yum, yum, and yum. this has to be one of my all time favorite foods. Especially for those cold winter months. Have you ever tried putting your chicken in a couple hours earlier by itself with a little water and letting it make its own broth? The finished product may be a little greasier than some folks like but i find it gives my dish that “grandma’s home cooking” that i sometimes miss from childhood. Plus, the broth is actually pretty healthy.
    Also, you can’t go wrong dumping in a couple cans of mixed veggies (liquid drained) to make sure the family gets a super well-rounded meal.

• lindsayballen 16 September, 2016 at 10:25 am - Reply Author

Thanks for the tips, Gwen! I haven’t ever tried it with the chicken making its own broth, but you make a good argument for it! 🙂

• lindsayballen 17 January, 2017 at 3:49 pm - Reply Author

I’ve never tried it on the stovetop so I’m not sure about the cooktime! If you give it a try, please let us know how it turns out!

7. I am cooking this right now and my dumplings won’t cook in the slow cooker. 🙁 I followed the recipe except I used chicken broth instead of water — could that be it? I tried stirring, but the dumplings started turning to mush. I tried putting the slow cooker on high, but no luck. I finally pulled the crock out and put it in the oven (praying my crock won’t break in the oven)! Not sure where I went wrong, but won’t be making this again.

• Oh no! I’m so sorry that happened! Admittedly, the dumplings do get pretty moist cooking in the slow cooker, which means they don’t exactly “fluff” and can seem mushy. But still, they should actually cook through and not be raw dough. My only guess is that maybe the dough could have been cut into smaller pieces? I’m not really sure. So sorry!