For most people at this time of year, your crockpot becomes your favorite household item. It’s just so versatile! I use it to make soups/chili for dinner, dips for parties, and even hot chocolate! I rarely get it out during warm weather months, but it’s used almost daily in the fall and winter.
Chicken & dumplings is a very hearty meal that sticks to your bones and warms you up. This recipe uses canned biscuit dough which makes it SO much faster and easier than making your own dumplings. My only complaint was that the dough didn’t entirely stay in “dumpling” form…meaning that they didn’t stay nice and round but kinda tore into random chunks of various sizes or strips of dough. It’s not really a big deal because it tastes the same, but you should know that it won’t look much like dumplings.
Also, be aware that it’s VERY hard to tell when the biscuit dough is all the way cooked through. Naturally, sitting in the crockpot with the other ingredients, they will get moist and soggy, which means it won’t really LOOK done. Just test by cutting into a dumpling and make sure the dough is cooked through before serving. Uncooked dough is not very appetizing.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 packages (10 count) of Grands Jr. biscuits
- Combine all ingredients except biscuits and flour in a greased slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover.
- Secure lid and cook for 5 hours on low.
- Using kitchen scissors, cut each biscuit into four pieces. Roll each biscuit piece in flour (to prevent them from sticking together), then drop into the slow cooker.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred. Return shredded meat into the slow cooker.
- Replace lid and cook on low for another 30 minutes, or until dough is fully cooked.
Soure: Key Ingredient