This dish combines 3 of my favorite things: chicken, pesto, and cheese! You just can’t go wrong with that combo. Plus, I’m a sucker for dishes that cram a bunch of tasty ingredients INSIDE of something else. It’s like you get more bang for your buck that way.
Let me tell you the secret to this recipe (and any recipe that includes stuffing ingredients inside of meat like chicken, steak, or fish)…the secret is for the meat to be nice and thin, that way it rolls up easier. In my younger years, I would try to make a “stuffed” chicken recipe, but didn’t know I needed to pound the chicken A LOT to make it thin enough. I even have a post about a failed attempt at stuffed flounder because I didn’t know I needed to buy thin filets!
Once I learned this key bit of information, these recipes got much easier! So if you pound the chicken out enough to make it thin and easily rollable, then this recipe will be a breeze. Serve it with some pasta for a delicious Italian dinner!
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 T Pesto
- 2 T low-fat sour cream
- 2 T grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 T finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 T Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a small casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Trim any visible fat from chicken breasts, then put them one at a time inside a heavy plastic bag and pound with meat mallet until the chicken is as thin as you can get it. Don't worry too much about the shape or whether there are some loose pieces, you can tuck them in when you roll up the chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix together the pesto, sour cream, and mozzarella. Spread a thin layer of this mixture over each chicken breast, stopping about 1/2 inch from the edge of the chicken (so it doesn't run out so much as it cooks.) Roll up the chicken breasts and secure them with a couple of toothpicks.
- Prepare two bowls, one with the beaten egg and the other with the Parmesan and breadcrumbs mixed together. Dip each chicken breast roll first into the egg mixture and then into the Parmesan-breadcrumb mixture, patting it on so the chicken breast roll is well-coated with the mixture.
- Put chicken breasts into the casserole dish and bake until the chicken is firm and lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
Source: Kalyn’s Kitchen