Hello again, readers! I hope that each of you are enjoying your summer! It seems to have really flown by fast, and I can’t believe that a week from today is Independence Day! Yup, my most favorite holiday of the year, the 4th of July. I just love it! The grilling, the good food, family, water sports, sunshine, and fireworks…what more could you ask for?!
I wanted to post a recipe today that would be a good one to serve at your 4th of July party. I know this dessert is not colored red, white, and blue like in all those food magazines with pretty holiday-themed dishes. But what’s more American than S’MORES?! I guarantee that this will be a gigantic hit at your party. These are ooey gooey and delicious, and if you serve this while it’s still warm, people might faint from bliss.
I’ve made a similar recipe before called S’mores Cookie Bars, and the recipes are a lot alike. The other recipe uses regular graham crackers as the crust, but this one uses crushed graham cracker crumbs with melted butter to make the crust. And this one includes made-from-scratch cookie dough instead of store bought. So this one is a bit more involved than the other, but it paid off in the end because I think this one is better! And it’s really not that difficult either, so I think it’s worth the couple extra steps.
- For crust:
- 4 T. melted butter
- 1 c. crushed graham cracker crumbs
- For cookie bars:
- 1/2c. brown sugar
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. softened butter
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1 1/4c. flour
- 1 c. mini marshmallows
- 1 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Hershey’s Milk Chocolate candy bar (reg size)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray square baking pan (9x9) with non-stick butter spray.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter - form crust in the bottom of the pan.
- Mix together sugars, vanilla, egg, and softened butter. In a separate bowl combine the salt, baking soda and flour. Once mixed, combine with other mixture.
- Gently stir in the mini marshmallows and chocolate chips. Place dough on top of graham cracker crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Place Hershey bar pieces on top and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Cool and cut.
Source: U Create