Don’t you just love mini foods? I adore regular food that has been shrunken down to a cute, mini version. I also enjoy finding unique uses for my cookware. I mean, I never would’ve thought to bake meatloaf in my muffin tins. That muffin tin has been used exclusively for muffins and cupcakes until now. I feel like this is a game-changer. What else can I cook in my muffin tin?!
My family really enjoyed these mini turkey meatloaves. In my opinion, the best part is the pesto! Pesto is like magic, pixie dust. Just mix it in to your recipe and VOILA it’s guaranteed to be delicious. I will say though that these do not look all that appetizing when you take them out of the oven. They just look like little gobs of meat with a green tint (thanks to the pesto). The melty cheese on top definitely makes it look more appetizing (because EVERYONE loves melty cheese), but just trust me when I say that these taste better than they look! They’re also surprisingly filling AND low-cal! It’s hard to find a dish that tastes good when it’s less than 300 calories…but this one does it!
- 1 (20-oz) package lean ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons jarred basil pesto
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine turkey, breadcrumbs, pesto, basil, salt, onion, egg, and 1⁄4 cup cheese in a bowl, mixing with hands until blended.
- Spoon mixture into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes.
- Top each muffin with 1 tablespoon cheese, and bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and a thermometer inserted in center of meat loaves reads at least 165°F.