Valentine’s Day is in just a few days! Have you figured out what you’re going to do for your sweetheart? Perhaps a romantic dinner? Or a weekend getaway? If you’re thinking of surprising your man or your lady with breakfast, I’ve got just the Valentine’s dish for you!
These red velvet pancakes use a boxed cake mix, so it’s really simple! On their own, the pancakes themselves are not really sweet, so you’ll definitely want to make the cream cheese frosting to go with it. That’s what makes this dish so delicious! These are sure to be a hit with your special someone! Especially if served in bed.
One thing that surprised me about this recipe is how many pancakes it made. It obviously will vary depending on the size of your pancakes, but I ended up with like 18 medium-sized pancakes. That was definitely more than we needed! So I’d recommend making them a little larger to get fewer pancakes, unless you’re serving these to your whole family (in which case you’d be the best mom/dad ever!)
- 2 cups red velvet cake mix
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1¼ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon butter for greasing the pan
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat skillet or griddle on medium heat while you prepare the batter.
- In a medium bowl whisk the egg and milk until well combined. Add the red velvet mix and the flour. Beat by hand for 2-3 minutes until the batter is fluffy.
- Brush the pan with butter and pour ¼ cup of batter onto the skillet or griddle. Cook until small bubbles begin to form on the pancake (about 1 minute or less), flip and cook for no more then 1 minute. Make sure to leave the heat on medium or low so the pancakes don't burn. Keep a close eye on them while cooking.
- Cook pancakes one by one until all are finished.
- For the frosting, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla for 1-2 minutes by hand. Drizzle over pancakes and enjoy!
Source: Brunchtime Baker