Hello, Dear Readers! I know you’ve probably been fretting terribly because of the lag in new posts lately, but I have a good excuse! I was in Haiti all last week as part of my work with World Orphans. But now I’m back, and I’ve got lots of great recipes queued up to post here on the blog! Starting with this little gem, Chicken Caprese Bruschetta…
We really loved this dish! It is so simple and assuming that we had no idea how delicious it would be. It’s just your basic caprese ingredients–mozzarella, tomato, and basil–along with some chicken and a balsamic vinegar glaze sitting atop a toasted sub bun. But even though it is not extravagant, it tasted amazing. Something about melted, fresh mozzarella cheese just makes my taste buds dance and my knees go weak. I loved how “fresh” this dish tasted with the tomatoes and basil. And the balsamic glaze turned out so sweet! The hubs and I, along with my 10 year old cousin, all gave this dish 2 thumbs up!
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large sub buns
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- Place the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and let the mixture simmer while you continue on with the recipe. Once the vinegar is thickened and syrupy, remove from heat (keep an eye on it as you cook, but mine was done about the same time I was ready to begin assembling my bruschetta with toppings).
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the diced chicken breast with salt and pepper then place them in the skillet. Cook for a few minutes on each side until the pieces are cooked through.
- Preheat the broiler to low. Split the sub buns in half and brush them lightly with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Place them oil side up on a baking sheet and place them under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until golden and lightly toasted. Remove and set aside.
- Spread the chicken evenly over the toasted bread. Top with slices of mozzarella cheese. Place the cheesy bread under the broiler for an additional 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- While the cheese is melting, combine the tomatoes and garlic and season them with salt and pepper.
- Once the cheese is melted, spread the tomatoes out evenly over the bread slices. Top with chopped basil and a drizzle of the reduced balsamic vinegar. Serve immediately.
This would be awesome with bacon pieces on top!