Turkey burgers, y’all…they’re legit. Over the last year, I have experimented with a few different recipes for turkey burgers, and posted a couple of them here on Normal Cooking. Now I love a classic beef burger…but turkey pairs so well with other flavors! Add feta and basil for a Mediterranean flair, salsa for a Mexican style, pineapple and teriyaki sauce for some Hawaiian flavor. The possibilities are endless!
Today’s turkey burger recipe is one of my favorites. This pairing of savory turkey, crisp, sweet apples, and melted cheese is absolutely amazing. I promise there are apple slices underneath all that delicious, melted cheese. And I loved serving them on a toasted English muffin. One thing my family said as they were eating this burger is that it felt like they were eating at some hip, upscale burger restaurant. I have to agree. It tasted more gourmet than just your typical grilled-in-the-backyard-burger. But even with the gourmet taste, it’s still super simple to make! Oh and it’s healthier than a regular burger too! Only 340 calories and 13g carbs in each burger. This gourmet-tasting, super simple, healthy recipe came from my eMeals Low Cal meal plan. I love the variety of delicious, low cal meals they offer! And eMeals has tons of other meal plans too (like Paleo, Low Carb, Kid-Friendly, and more!)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (20-oz) package lean ground turkey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 apple, thinly sliced (Gala is my favorite, but you can use whatever kind you like)
- 6 thin slices sharp Cheddar cheese (I used Colby Jack because I didn't have cheddar)
- 6 multigrain light English muffins, split
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Preheat grill (or grill pan coated with cooking spray) to medium-high heat.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onions for 3 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Combine turkey, onion, garlic salt, sage, pepper and egg. Mixing with your hands; gently shape into 6 patties.
- Grill patties 5 minutes per side or until done, topping patties evenly with apple slices and cheese during last 2 minutes of grilling.
- Grill muffins, cut sides down, 2 minutes or until toasted.
- Place 1 patty on bottom of each muffin. Spread 1 teaspoon mustard on top of each muffin; place on top of burgers.