LOOK AT THAT BURGER! JUST LOOK AT IT! Now, wipe the drool off your keyboard. Is this not one of the most beautiful food creations you’ve ever seen?! I can’t stop staring at it.
This is definitely not your average backyard burger. Grilled chicken smothered in barbecue sauce and topped with thick bacon, sautéed mushrooms, shredded cheese, and your usual lettuce, tomato, and onion…this thing is guaranteed to knock your socks off and impress dinner guests. It’s so beautiful!
If you’re tired of cooking the same old boring beef burgers for all your summer cookouts and parties, just try adding these beauties to the menu. Memorial day is less than a week away, and that would be the perfect time to cook up these ultimate bbq chicken burgers! You will be king of the grill.
- 4 (3-4 ounces each) thin chicken cutlets
- 1 quart of cold water
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup Barbecue Sauce
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- tiny pinch of salt
- ½ cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 burger buns
- toppings: lettuce, tomato, red onion, plus more bbq sauce
- In a large bowl stir together the cold water, salt, and granulated sugar. Add the chicken breast, cover, and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- While the chicken is soaking in the brine, you can heat your grill and prep your other ingredients.
- When you are ready to cook, remove the chicken and pat it dry with paper towels. Discard the brine. Sprinkle the chicken breast with the salt and pepper.
- Put the bacon on the grill first.. The bacon will need to be positioned between the hot and cold sides of the grill for perfect crispness.
- Place the chicken on the grill directly over the heat. Brush both sides of the chicken with the barbecue sauce. It will only need to cook for about 3-4 minutes per side. Be sure to check for doneness (internal temperature should read 165°F). Flip the bacon when it starts to shrink up. When chicken is done and bacon is crispy, remove to a plate.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a small sauce pan. Add the sliced mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook over medium high heat for 3 or 4 minutes.
- To assemble the sandwiches, add lettuce, tomato, and onion to each bun. Top with a piece of the Barbecue Grilled Chicken, a slice of bacon cut in half, then the mushrooms and the shredded cheese. Top with more bbq sauce if desired.
If desired, butter the insides of the buns and set them on the grill grate for just a few minutes to get them slightly toasted.
Source: Sugar Dish Me