I spent the last week in Haiti, and now it’s so good to be home! Before leaving for Haiti, I was spending the previous 2 weeks preparing for my trip and working at least 10 hour days. Then my time in Haiti was equally busy and tiresome. So today, I’m hanging out on the couch with my hubby, enjoying being together. But I thought I’d at least do one productive thing, and that’s post this wonderful recipe on the blog for you today!
My first experience making crab cakes was a frustrating one. They fell apart completely as I was trying to cook and flip them. I was all like, “NNNNNOOOOOOO!” and was not really thrilled about trying a second time only to fail again. But you know what they say about falling off the horse and all that. So I gave it another go!
Now, I’ve made crab cakes a few times, and each time seems to turn out better than the last. I especially love that this recipe has a light lemon flavor and the bell peppers and green onions also added to the combo and made it have some nice coloring. This restaurant-quality recipe came from my eMeals Low Cal meal plan! They have amazing recipes that make meal planning easy! This recipe from eMeals is the best crab cake recipe I’ve ever tried and it’s only 250 calories!
- 1⁄4 cup plus 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise, divided
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, divided
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 6 (1-oz) slices ciabatta bread, toasted
- 11⁄2 cups baby mixed greens (or spring mix)
- Stir together 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, bell pepper, green onions, parsley, 1 teaspoon lemon rind, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, egg, salt, and pepper until well blended. Gently stir in crabmeat. Shape into 6 (3⁄4-inch-thick) patties.
- Dredge patties in remaining 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs. Cook patties, in batches if necessary, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat 3 minutes per side or until golden.
- Stir together 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon lemon rind and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture over bread slices. Top each bread slice with 1⁄4 cup baby greens and 1 crab cake.