Hello again, everyone! Sorry it’s been a few weeks since I posted a new recipe for y’all. My husband and I have been in Africa! We went back to Rwanda (our 4th time there) to work with Best Family Rwanda, the ministry we partner with there. If you’re interested in coming with us to Rwanda next time, we’ll be leading a team Dec 27, 2015 – Jan 8, 2016! If you want more info or would like to sign up for the trip, just go here.
After our time in Rwanda, we went to Kenya for a much-needed vacay! It was incredible! We went on an amazing safari and enjoyed a beautiful beach in Mombasa. But it’s definitely good to be home. And now I’m back to sharing tasty, simple, family recipes with all of you!
This Shrimp Scampi Po-Boy was INCREDIBLE and made me wish I lived in New Orleans where I could eat food like this every day! One of my favorite things about shrimp recipes is how quickly they come together. Since shrimp only take a few minutes to cook, this is a meal that’s great for a busy weeknight. The hubs and I DEVOURED these sandwiches and tried to articulate how good they were through a mouth full of food. Make sure to have lots of napkins when you eat these because the delicious garlicky, buttery juice will run down your elbows (so lady-like, I know).
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb small shrimp - I used medium because my store didn't have small
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne (red) pepper
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- a pinch red pepper flakes
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 4 hoagie rolls, split and buttered
- thinly sliced provolone cheese (2-3 slices per sandwich)
- Optional Topping: mayo, chopped pickled jalapenos, shredded lettuce
- Melt butter and olive oil over medium high heat. If butter is melting and bubbling too quickly to prevent it from burning, lower heat a little.
- Add shrimp and garlic. Season with salt and cayenne pepper. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes or until all shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place split and buttered hoagie rolls under broiler in oven for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Take the shrimp off the heat and add crushed red pepper flakes, lemon juice, and parsley.
- Place slices of cheese on bottom of roll. Top with shrimp and spoon some of the garlic butter sauce over shrimp.
- If desired, Spread top half of bun with a little mayo and finish off with shredded lettuce and chopped pickled jalapenos.
Source: Diary of a Recipe Collector