Merry Christmas Eve Eve, everyone! We are getting ready to have family over for the next few days, and I can’t wait! We’ve also been enjoying several Christmas parties with friends over the last couple weeks. I love that the entire month of December is full of celebrations!
I took this cheesy hashbrown casserole to a Christmas potluck, and it was a big hit! It’s creamy and cheesy with a delightful crunch on top. The base of this recipe just came from the back of the Ore Ida hashbrown bag. It originally called for crushed corn flakes as a topping, but I thought crispy fried onions would be better, and boy was I right! I also added a little bit of cajun seasoning just to add a bit more flavor. I also really appreciated how easy this casserole is to make. It’s as simple as mixing ingredients, pouring into a baking dish, and baking. It doesn’t get much easier. And when I’ve got 1000 things to do to prepare for Christmas, that’s super helpful. This is definitely a side dish worthy of your Christmas dinner table, and it’s one I’ll probably be taking to many more potlucks in the future!
- 1 (10.5 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups Sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- Cajun seasoning, to taste (I used a little over a teaspoon)
- 2 cups Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup Sliced green onions
- 1 package (30 oz.) frozen Ore-Ida® Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes
- 2 cups fried onions, crushed
- Set out the hashbrowns to thaw. They don't need to thaw completely, just let them sit out for about 5-10 minutes so they'll be stir-able and not a block of ice.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 13x9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together soup, sour cream, salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning. Stir in cheese, green onions and hash browns until well mixed. Spoon evenly into baking dish. Top with crushed fried onions.
- Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste if desired. Garnish with additional sliced green onion if desired.