Happy New Year, everyone! Hope your 2016 is off to a great start so far! Did you make any resolutions for this year? Obviously the most common one is to lose weight, get healthy, get in shape, etc. And if that’s your resolution, I hope you are able to achieve it! Here at Normal Cooking, I certainly understand the importance of a healthy diet, but I also understand that a “normal” person living a “normal” life will sometimes have cheat days. And sometimes you’ll have days where life just gets too chaotic and you order a pizza just so your family doesn’t starve. I get it, because I’m normal too! This blog has plenty of “cheat day” recipes, but it’s also got plenty of healthy recipes too!
These delicious Corn & Black Bean Cakes came from my Low Calorie eMeals plan! I am a firm believer in eMeals because they make meal-planning so much easier, especially when you’re trying to find recipes for a specific diet or lifestyle. Here are just a few of the meal plans to pick from: Clean Eating, Paleo, Low Calorie, Low Carb, Low Fat, Budget-Friendly, Kid-Friendly, and more! Follow the link to see all of their Easy, Healthy Meal Plans that will help you keep your resolution! Plus, it saves you tons of time (and money) because they plan all the meals and make the grocery list for you. And you can try them for 2 weeks, completely free! That’s worth checking out. You’ll be amazed how easy it is.
So today’s recipe is one to hopefully get you started off on the right foot. I’ll admit, I am NOT a vegetarian at all. I love meat. So when I saw this vegetarian recipe, I rolled my eyes a bit. And I’m also not a proponent of eating bland, boring food in order to lose weight. Because I love food. So I’ll be honest, I thought this dish was gonna be bland, boring, and leave us still hungry. And I was wrong on all counts! My husband and I both LOVED this dish! It was so filling I could barely even finish mine. If you like Mexican food such as tacos and burritos, you’ll like this recipe. And it was only 270 calories! That’s unbelievable! We’ll be eating this even when we aren’t dieting because it was crazy good!
- 2 (15-oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn
- 11⁄4 cups fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp black pepper
- 1⁄8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 Tbsp light sour cream
- Optional garnish: salsa, lettuce
- Mash beans in a bowl with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in corn, breadcrumbs, eggs, green onions, garlic, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Shape bean mixture into 6 patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties, in batches if necessary. Cook 5 minutes per side or until browned and thoroughly heated. Top each patty with 1 Tbsp sour cream. Serve with optional garnishes.