Hello Readers! I hope you all survived the Blizzard of 2016. I know some folks on the East Coast are still snowed in! Here in Bama, we saw a few flurries, so of course everything shut down, we all got super excited, and we waited for our snow to come…but it never stuck to the ground. We were bummed, but I’m sure some of you, while you dig your cars out of feet of snow, are wishing that you didn’t get any either!
So today’s recipe is for those of you who are just tired of the snow and the cold. This soup will definitely warm your bones and fill you up! It’s easy to make and is on the table in less than 30 minutes. I find that most hearty meals I eat in the winter time are full of fat and calories, but this soup is actually healthy! It’s only 330 calories. And after I finished eating, I said “hey I just realized this is vegetarian! I didn’t even miss the meat!” And my husband replied, “oh yeah, I totally didn’t even realize there wasn’t meat in it.” And that’s a big deal for us, a carnivorous couple. This dish definitely filled us up and tasted delicious, and the hubs never even knew it was good for him!
This is one recipe we will be making over and over again in the wintertime. I got the recipe from my Low Calorie Meal Plan on eMeals. You should definitely check them out and get weekly meal plans and pre-made grocery lists sent to your inbox! It’s a lifesaver for us.
- 3 (14.5-oz) cans no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans no-salt-added navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3⁄4 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 6 oz uncooked whole-grain rotini pasta
- 3 cups chopped red leaf lettuce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine tomatoes, water, beans, sugar, and rosemary in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Roughly mash larger pieces of tomato with a potato masher or whisk. Stir in cooked rotini, and cook 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat, and stir in lettuce, basil, oil and salt. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.