Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day! Have you got a hot date planned? Perhaps a romantic dinner at home?
I love that Valentine’s Day is an excuse for me to go all out on cooking a fancy dinner! Even when we splurge on ingredients like filet mignon or lobster, it’s still usually cheaper than going out to a nice restaurant, and we don’t have to bother with the crowds. So usually twice a year (Valentine’s Day and our anniversary), I’ll ditch the “normal, everyday” recipes this blog is known for and take on more labor-intensive, expensive meals. I could definitely not cook like this every day, but twice a year is the perfect amount for me.
If you’re planning to cook a romantic dinner at home, I’ve posted lots of great Valentine’s dinner/dessert recipes like Lobster Colorado, Herb Roasted Lamb Chops, Chocolate Lava Cakes, and more! All of them have turned out A-MA-ZING and make me feel like a master chef. And these Filet Mignons with Herbed Butter are great to add to the list of special occasion meals! They’re really not that difficult to make, but they come out flavorful, tender, and juicy. They practically melt in your mouth!
- 2 (8) ounce filet mignon
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup), softened
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1 Tablespoon rosemary chopped
- To make the herbed butter: Take softened stick of butter and combine with garlic, parsley, rosemary and lemon zest. Place in plastic wrap, roll into a log and refrigerate.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season both sides of the steaks with salt and pepper. Heat an ovenproof skillet over medium high heat. Add 1/2 stick herbed butter and oil. Sear steaks 2-3 minutes each side until a nice crust forms, while spooning melted butter in the pan over steaks.
- Once both sides have a nice crust and the oven is heated to 400 degrees, take the whole oven proof skillet and put it in the oven for 6-8 minutes depending on the thickness of your steak. (135 degree internal temperature for medium rare. If you like a little less pink you may cook a few minutes longer or 140)
- Add a tablespoon of the compound butter during the last two minutes of the steak being in the oven. It will melt over your steak and adds another layer of flavoring.
- Serve steak with herbed butter.
Inspired By: Made From Pinterest