If you’ve ever been to Outback Steakhouse, you’ve seen their famous Alice Springs chicken on the menu, and there’s a good chance you’ve tried it yourself. This is one of their most popular dishes, and it’s easy to see why! However, all that deliciousness comes at a cost — about 756 calories and 47 g of fat!
Thankfully, I discovered Skinny Kitchen‘s skinnified version, and much to my surprise, it was REALLY REALLY GOOD! And it’s only got 264 calories and 9 g of fat! But don’t worry, it’s still got the bacon and cheese topping smothered in honey mustard sauce.
We LOVED this dish! And it was simple to make too! Just saute the chicken, cook your bacon and mushrooms, and pile on all the toppings before baking . It was a restaurant quality dish, without all the calories!
- 4 (1 pound total) boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ½ inch thickness
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- 4 slices bacon
- ¼ cup yellow or spicy brown mustard (not Dijon)
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons non-fat plain yogurt
- ½ tablespoons dried onions flakes or 1 tablespoon scallions, chopped (green part only)
- 1½ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- ¼ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with seasoning salt. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook bacon in the microwave. Be sure to use paper towels to blot the grease when done. Crumble and set aside.
- Add mushrooms to a small, microwave safe bowl and cook in the microwave for 1 minute to soften. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together mustard, honey, mayonnaise, yogurt and dried onion flakes or scallions. Set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add oil and heat. Place chicken in pan and saute over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes per side until browned. Move chicken to a baking dish that has been coated with a little cooking spray.
- Spread most of the honey mustard sauce over each chicken breast, then layer each piece with the mushrooms, top with the remaining honey mustard sauce, sprinkle each with crumbled bacon. Finally, top each with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and chicken is done.
Source: Skinny Kitchen