Tortellini is one of my favorite pastas to cook with because they’re so flavorful and filling! Pasta stuffed with cheese? PLEASE AND THANK YOU! You can tell I’m a tortellini fan by how many recipes I’ve posted with that tasty lil cheese filled pasta. In the past I’ve combined tortellini with chicken, kielbasa, bacon, sausage, and spinach, and they’ve all been delicious! Today’s recipe was my first time to toss it with shrimp, and I gotta say…it was awesome! But I supposed I should’ve expected that :-).
This dish is not only delicious, but it only took 20 minutes to make! It was crazy easy. Just boil the tortellini, toss with marina, saute shrimp, and top it off with some gooey melted cheese! Then you’ve got yourself a delicious, family-friendly, everyone-will-be-licking-their-plates meal. Perfect for a busy weeknight.
The only thing I would change would be to add a bit more seasoning. Instead of plain marinara sauce, I’d recommend getting a pasta sauce that has lots of herbs and flavors, like roasted garlic, tomato basil, etc. There are dozens to choose from at the store so pick which kind you like best! Also, you could throw on some Italian seasoning to the shrimp before you cook it in the skillet. This would give it a bit more flavor as well.
- 12 oz. jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 18 oz packages of cheese tortellini
- 2 1/2 C marinara or pasta sauce of your choice
- 3/4 C shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1.5 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, season the shrimp with salt and pepper (and Italian seasoning if you'd like some extra Italian flavor) and then toss with olive oil. Saute in an oven-proof skillet on medium heat for 3-5 minutes per side or until pink. Remove shrimp from skillet and set aside.
- Toss the cooked tortellini with the pasta sauce and then pour into the skillet. Top with the shrimp and then sprinkle with parmesan cheese and then the mozzarella cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned. This will only take a couple of minutes, so keep an eye on it!
Source: This Gal Cooks