It’s no secret that the hubs and I LOVE Mexican food. Each week when I make our meal plan, there is usually one (or two, or three) Mexican themed dishes on the menu. We love those classic flavors found in dishes like tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, burritos, etc. and just never grow tired of it! I also appreciate that most of the time, these recipes are simple and quick.
These Crunchy Turkey Tacos were SO GOOD! I mean, I knew they’d be good because tacos are delicious, but I didn’t know just how good they’d be! I was really surprised at the amount of flavor from such simple ingredients. I think it was because this was my first time to incorporate cooking with poblano pepper (*gasp* how did I cook so many Mexican dishes without it?), and it added tons of flavor to the meat mixture. Plus, it’s really important to select a good salsa that is also mixed in with the meat while it cooks. So don’t go with just the cheapest salsa you can find. We personally like Newman’s Own salsa, but you pick whichever one you like best!
Now that spring is fully upon us, that means swimsuit season is just around the corner. And if you’re like me, you’re scrambling to try and lose some of that winter hibernation blubber to get your body beach ready! That’s another reason I love this recipe–it’s only 300 calories! I got the recipe from my eMeals Low Calorie Meal Plan. They send me weekly recipes and grocery lists, and the meals are really good! They have over a dozen Easy, Healthy Meal Plans to pick from, and you’ll love how easy it is to get great recipes sent to your inbox each week!
- 1 (20-oz) pkg 93% lean ground turkey
- 11⁄2 cups chopped poblano peppers (see note)
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 11⁄2 cups refrigerated fresh salsa, divided
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 stand-and-stuff taco shells
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Optional: shredded lettuce/kale, shredded cheese
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey, poblano pepper, onion, cumin and salt; cook until turkey is browned and onion is soft, stirring to crumble.
- Remove from heat, and stir in 1⁄3 cup salsa and cilantro.
- Heat shells according to package directions. Spoon turkey mixture into taco shells, and top with remaining salsa and yogurt.
- For a spicier dish, substitute 2 to 3 jalapeño peppers for the poblanos.
- You could substitute light sour cream for the greek yogurt, but it will change the calorie count
- Be aware that the salsa you pick can affect the calorie count as well