Can you believe it’s already May?! April just seemed to fly by. I feel like traveling really makes the days all blur together, and I just recently returned home from a trip for my work with World Orphans. I was in Guatemala for a week and then Nicaragua for a few days. It was an AWESOME trip! If you’d like to learn more about it, you can check out my blog, Taking Up The Cause. One of my favorite things about traveling is trying multicultural food. And being in Latin America, I ate LOTS of authentic Latin dishes, which really put me in the mood for Cinco De Mayo this week! (As if I needed something to put me in the mood for Cinco De Mayo…I am always up for Mexican food.)
If you’re looking for a simple, delicious Cinco De Mayo-inspired recipe this week, these Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas are it! I used rotisserie chicken, which really makes this dish come together quickly. And they’re so tasty! I actually prefer this salsa verde sauce to the regular red enchilada sauce.
These enchiladas are actually a low-calorie, weight watchers approved meal! So you can indulge in that margarita or churro because these only have 350 calories and 9 WW+ points! This recipe came from my eMeals Low Calorie Meal Plan. You should check them out and find a meal plan that fits your family! I love having meal plans, recipes, and pre-made grocery lists sent to my inbox each week.
- 1⁄2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 11⁄2 cups shredded reduced-fat colby-Jack cheese, divided
- 1⁄3 cup light sour cream
- 1 (4-oz) can chopped green chiles
- 6 (8-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- 1 cup jarred salsa verde
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and cumin; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute.
- Combine vegetable mixture, chicken, 1 cup cheese, sour cream and chiles in a large bowl. Spoon chicken mixture evenly onto tortillas, and roll up. Arrange filled tortillas, seam sides down, in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Pour salsa over enchiladas, and sprinkle with remaining 1⁄2 cup cheese.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until browned and bubbly. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
WW+ Points = 9
Get more great recipes like this every week with eMeals