Oh man, we LOVED this dish! The flavors were so fresh and delicious, and I love all the beautiful colors in the bowl. This is the perfect meal for summertime, but it would be great any time of year!
Don’t be alarmed when you see the lengthy ingredient list. I know it looks like a lot, but I promise this is a quick and easy dish! It comes together in only about 30 minutes. Plus this is really a whole meal in a bowl so you don’t have to worry about cooking any side dishes to accompany it. Both my husband and I found it to be very filling!
You can also easily get creative with this recipe. Instead of serving in a bowl, you could serve in a tortilla as a soft taco. Or, you could serve it over lettuce as a salad. You could switch out the tilapia for chicken or shrimp if you prefer. Go crazy! Serve it whichever way you like!
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Pinch of dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Zest of 1 lime
- 4 tilapia filets
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- Optional Garnishes: Fresh cilantro, diced avocado, purple shredded cabbage, lime wedges
- Bring water to a boil and add rice. Cover and reduce heat. Let cook for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. (The rest of the recipe can be prepared while the rice is cooking)
- Combine spices (chili powder through pepper) in a small dish. Rub the seasonings all over the fish, covering both sides.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat with a drizzle of olive oil (Cast iron works best). Add minced garlic and saute for about 30 seconds, then add tilapia filets. Careful not to add too many and crowd your pan. Don't move the fish around, let them really sear. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip and cook another 2 minutes or so. When done, fish should flake easily with a fork. Remove to plate and repeat with additional fish filets. Sprinkle fish with lime zest.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil, corn, red onion and red bell pepper to the same skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes without stirring to allow them to roast and sear. Then stir and let them cook for another couple minutes until vegetables are tender and slightly caramelized.
- Add in drained and rinsed black beans and heat for 1-2 minutes.
- By now your rice should be cooked and tender. Stir cilantro and lime juice in with the rice.
- To serve, add rice to a bowl and top with the corn/beans/pepper mixture, pieces of blackened fish, and any garnishes you desire.
You could switch out the tilapia for chicken or shrimp
Instead of serving in a bowl, you could serve in soft tacos or over a salad
Source: The Chunky Chef