We are so close to my favorite holiday of the year: INDEPENDENCE DAY! I know I know, most of you probably think Christmas is the best holiday, but I humbly disagree. When Christmas has fireworks, hot weather, and lake/pool parties, then we could talk about which is best.
One other thing that makes the 4th of July so great is the FOOD! I’ll take BBQ ribs and corn on the cob over a honey ham and cranberry sauce any day. Cornbread is one of those dishes that is just quintessential “American” food. Unlike most of our food items (like pizza and hamburgers) which actually originated in other countries, cornbread is home-grown-American, and is especially popular down here in the South!
This Tex Mex Cornbread Salad would be a great side dish to serve at your 4th of July barbecue. Heads up though, it is FILLING for a side dish. In fact, my husband and I ate just this cornbread salad for dinner one night and were totally full (and that’s a big deal for him because he likes meals with lots of food!). So if you’re looking for an easy vegetarian dish for dinner, this would be perfect!
I love using the Jiffy Cornbread muffin mix because it’s so easy to make and I think it’s just as good as homemade. But if you’ve got a great cornbread recipe, you can absolutely use that in this salad! The muffins bake for about 15 minutes, and you can toss together all the other salad ingredients while they’re in the oven. So this only takes 15 minutes max! It’s easy, quick, healthy, budget-friendly, and SO SO GOOD! We were not expecting this dish to taste this amazing!
I got this recipe from my eMeals Low Calorie Meal Plan. You get great recipes like this AND a pre-made grocery list each week!
- 1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved (or quartered if they're large)
- 2 (15-oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn kernels, drained
- 1⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Combine corn muffin mix, egg, and milk. Divide mixture into 6 muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 mins, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, chop tomatoes, red onion, and cilantro.
- Combine tomatoes, black beans, corn, red onion, olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, salt and pepper in large serving bowl; toss to coat.
- When corn muffins are done, crumble into small chunks. Add muffin crumbles, cheese, and cilantro to bowl, tossing gently.
You could bake the muffins ahead of time and then just crumble them when you're ready to make this salad. So it could be a no-bake meal that you throw together in less than 5 mins!
You may use your own cornbread recipe in place of the Jiffy mix, egg, and milk.