Just because summer is over doesn’t mean you have to put away your grill! The weather is still prime for outdoor cooking, especially during football season!
Now I know that when all your buddies come over to watch football, you want to cook up some grade A ground beef burgers, not turkey burgers. Traditional beef burgers are awesome for sure, but hear me out. First of all, if you’ve never had a turkey burger, don’t knock it. I used to think they were just bland, healthy versions of a regular burger, but I was wrong! Turkey, unlike beef, actually pairs really well with other ingredients and allows you to create unique flavor combinations. Such as, you guessed it, a Southwestern Burger!
The key ingredient to this delicious burger is that it actually has regular ground turkey AND ground turkey sausage! That sausage gives the meat a whole different dimension of flavor and a little bit of kick too. This patty is also jam packed with black beans, bell peppers, jalapeños, and Southwestern seasonings. Once you slather on your favorite salsa and some toppings, you’ve got yourself a burger that is sure to impress!
So don’t judge a burger by whether it came from a turkey or a cow. Cuz I guarantee you this turkey burger will rise to the top of your favorite burgers list.
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey
- 1 lb. Lean Turkey Sausage (hot or mild depending on your taste)
- 1 Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Bell Peppers, finely chopped (any color is fine, but I used red and yellow)
- 1 Jalapeno, deseeded and diced
- 1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ Cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Southwest Chipotle Mrs. Dash
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- ½ Teaspoon Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8 Buns, toasted (or more if you plan to make smaller patties)
- Optional Toppings: Lettuce, Tomato, Red Onion, Salsa, Guacamole
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients (except the buns and toppings of course) with your hands. Mix well. Form into patties. I made 8 HUGE patties, but you could easily get 10 or even 12 good-sized patties out of it. (if you alter the number of patties, make sure to have enough buns!)
- Grill the patties for about 6 minutes on each side.
- To assemble burgers: Place each patty on a toasted bun. Top with optional toppings and serve.
Source: Mariah’s Pleasing Plates