Happy New Year! Welcome to 2017, y’all! I hope your 2016 ended on a high note, and so far 2017 has been good to you.
Have you guys made any resolutions? We’re less than 48 hours into the new year, so I’m hoping you’ve been able to keep them so far! I typically am not a new year’s resolution type of gal, but I’m making 4 resolutions this year:
- Make Scripture memorization a priority. Memorize at least 1 verse every week and meditate on it throughout each day. I want to bury His Word in my heart!
- Spend focused prayer time and Bible study with my husband daily. We do our personal Bible studies individually, but we want to be intentional about seeking the Lord together as a couple!
- Be a great mom! We are adopting two little girls from Burundi, and we hope to bring them home in a couple months! It will be quite an adjustment going from no kids to twin 2 year olds!
- Lose 10 pounds.
So those are my resolutions, and maybe by sharing them with you, I’ll feel more accountable to actually stick to them! What are some of your resolutions?
Assuming that many of you, like me, are resolving to lose some weight or get more fit in 2017, I thought I’d help us start off right with this SKINNY King Ranch Casserole! I admit, I didn’t think this was going to be very good at all, but in the end, we actually enjoyed it! I am not a fan of whole wheat tortillas (I think they have a weird aftertaste), but my husband thinks I’m crazy. Even in spite of my distaste for the wheat tortillas, this dish was delicious. It’s low cal, low fat, high in protein so you feel full, and Weight Watchers approved!
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat white flour
- 10-oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 4 whole-wheat tortillas
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 cup reduced fat Mexican shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350º F and spray a 13x9-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the chicken in a pot large enough to hold them all, and fill with enough water to cover the chicken by about 1-2-inches. Add 2 bay leaves to the water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- When the water comes to a boil, cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the chicken for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Using tongs, remove the chicken and set on a plate. When it is cool enough to touch, shred it and set aside. (Note: If you have a stand mixer, you can use the paddle attachment to shred the chicken, and it's so much faster/easier than doing it yourself!)
- While chicken is boiling, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced peppers and onions and cook for 6-8 minutes until the onions begin to get translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Sprinkle the flour over the cooked vegetables, stir to coat, then whisk in the chicken broth. Cook for 6-8 minutes until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the diced tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Turn the heat off and remove the skillet from the hot burner, then stir in the Greek yogurt and the shredded chicken into the skillet. Squeeze in the juice of 1 lime and stir.
- Tear up the tortillas by hand into bite size pieces (about 32 pieces each), and place half of them on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Pour the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas and spread the remaining half of the tortillas on top of the chicken.
- Evenly sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
WW+ = 7 WW Smart Points = 6
Source: Skinny Mom