Just a couple days ago here in Alabama, it was 81 degrees, everyone was in shorts and flip flops, and we were grilling dinner outside on the patio in the sunshine. Then, apparently Old Man Winter felt very offended by our delight in the warm weather and decided to send rain and 30 degree temps our way. As much as we wanted to believe that Spring had sprung, it’s very much still winter. So, in order to appease Old Man Winter, I thought I’d share this recipe for a delicious, hearty, hot soup.
We really enjoyed this Meatball Tortellini soup! Not only is it delicious and perfect for a chilly night, it’s so easy to make! There’s very little prep work because I used store-bought meatballs. You could make your own if you’d like, but why would you? I think the frozen meatballs are delicious and SO SO much easier than making my own! I like to buy a big bag of the frozen meatballs to keep on hand for easy dinners like Meatball Subs, Meatball & Orzo Soup, or the classic spaghetti with meatballs!
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1//2 teaspoon salt
- 16 frozen Italian meatballs
- 1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated tortellini (I accidentally used an 18 oz package, so mine was PACKED with tortellini. It made it much less soup-y but was still delicious, so you can use whichever you prefer)
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, salt, and meatballs. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add tortellini and simmer for about 7 minutes. Stir in spinach.
Source: Spicy Southern Kitchen