Mother’s Day is this weekend! I hope y’all are planning to spoil your moms and thank them for all they do! Every mom loves breakfast in bed from their kids on Mother’s Day, so I thought I’d share a simple, delicious recipe for these Sausage and Veggie Egg Muffins!
These were SO GOOD! Each muffin was packed full of sausage and bell peppers, and the basil on top really brought out the fresh flavors! They also make great “on-the-go” breakfasts since they can easily be refrigerated/frozen and reheated later for a mess-free breakfast. So you can show mom you love her with a whole WEEK full of breakfast muffins! Hooray for mom not having to make her own breakfast every morning before work! Each one is actually really filling. I was full after just one and they left me feeling satisfied until lunch.
Feel free to get creative with what you put in your muffins. You can use spinach, broccoli, bacon, a variety of herbs, etc. so you could have a variety!
- 1 lb ground turkey sausage (or pork)
- ½ of a medium red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup egg whites
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 c chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown sausage over medium high until cooked through, and no pink remains.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Divide the bell pepper, onion, cooked sausage and cheeses evenly into the 12 cups.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, egg whites and salt & pepper to taste. Pour egg mixture over the sausage and veggies. Sprinkle basil on top.
- Bake 22-25 minutes or until set.
- Remove from cups and serve warm, or let cool completely before refrigerating or freezing (instructions on reheating in the notes).
To reheat from refrigerated, microwave about 15 seconds.
To reheat from frozen, microwave 45-60 seconds.
Source: Spend with Pennies