Hey Y’all! I am SO EXCITED for this weekend! Why, you ask? Well, for starters, it’s the first weekend of college football! HOORAY! Oh how I have missed football Saturdays! Since we recently adopted twin 3 year old girls, this is their first football season, and we are doing our best to indoctrinate them to love Auburn University. So there’s definitely a new, fun element to gamedays this year as a new mom! In addition to this Saturday being College Football Kickoff, it’s also Labor Day weekend! Which means a 3-day weekend, filled with lots of good, grilled food, family, the lake, and just relaxation.
So I wanted to give you all a delicious recipe that would be perfect for serving up on gameday AND serving up on Labor Day. These Honey Mustard Chicken Bacon Skewers are SO GOOD! I mean…you don’t even need to see the pictures. Just read that recipe title, and you KNOW it’s gonna be great. But those mouthwatering pictures seal the deal.
Thankfully, this recipe is also crazy easy. Just marinate in a super simple marinade, then skewer and grill. This is a guaranteed hit at your tailgate or Labor Day get together!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 3 strips each
- 8 slices of thick cut bacon
- 1 tsp creole seasoning or seasoned salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- Juice of ½ lemon
- a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a gallon ziploc bag, combine the creole seasoning, honey, dijon mustard, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and paprika. Add chicken. Seal the bag, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, but the longer the better!
- When ready to grill, lay a chicken strip onto a piece of bacon. Thread them together onto skewer alternating back and forth. Repeat this process with the remaining chicken and bacon on the other skewers.
- Grill over medium high heat rotating until chicken is cooked through. This will take about 10 to 12 minutes depending on your grill.
- Remove from heat and top with a little shredded cheese and green onions.
Source: Diary of a Recipe Collector