Spaghetti & Meatballs…classic, right? Like who HASN’T eaten spaghetti and meatballs before? Clearly the recipe today is not particularly new or unique. BUT just because it’s a classic doesn’t mean it’s not still delicious, and it doesn’t mean you can’t improve on the original!
As good as regular ol’ spaghetti is, this recipe DOES improve on the classic. First of all, this recipe uses frozen Italian meatballs, which makes it SO quick and easy to make! I actually think they taste just as good as my homemade meatballs too! So basically what I’m saying is I’ll never make my own meatballs again, because why would I when these exist?! Also, this recipe loads up on cheese and bakes the whole thing right in the oven so it’s more like a creamy, cheesy spaghetti casserole.
We LOVED this meal, especially served up with some nice, crusty bread! It’s definitely a comfort food masterpiece, and it was so simple and easy to make.
- ~20 fully cooked, frozen Italian Meatballs (I usually buy the 32 oz bag which comes with around 65-70 and just count out how many I need and save the rest for another recipe)
- 24 oz jar of pasta sauce of your choice
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz spaghetti noodles
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- In a large, ovenproof skillet, sauté onions in olive oil until tender. Add garlic.
- Add frozen meatballs. Add pasta sauce and Italian seasoning. Simmer over medium low heat for 20 minutes until meatballs are fully thawed.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- With a large slotted spoon, scoop meatballs from sauce and set aside. Stir cooked spaghetti into sauce. If sauce is too thick, stir in about ½ cup pasta cooking water.
- Add cooked meatballs to top of spaghetti. Top with cheeses
- Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
Source: Joy in Every Season