Let me just say, I love recipes that included the word “stuffed.” In fact I’ve already posted a recipe for Stuffed Steak Pinwheels. Whenever I go to a restaurant, if I see a menu item such as “Crab Stuffed Flounder” or “Pork Loin stuffed with Sundried Tomatoes” that’s probably going to be the dish I order. You just get so many flavors all wound up in one lil package! Plus, I’m a lover of rich, heavy foods and usually stuffing meat with other ingredients is a good way to get just that. Maybe one day I should open my own restaurant and call it STUFFED and everything on the menu is food stuffed with other food. Ok, now that I read it aloud, it doesn’t sound too appetizing….
Anyways, this is really a delicious dish that looks fancy on a plate. It’s got that Italian touch that you know I love. The most challenging part of this recipe is getting the chicken to roll up neatly. It helps if you have chicken breasts that have the shape of half a heart. A couple of my chicken breasts were a little oddly shaped and did not roll as well. Hope that helps! And I hope you enjoy this recipe!
- 4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 lb. total)
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 of a 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/3 cup low-fat cottage cheese, drained
- 4 oz. part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1-1/4 cups light spaghetti sauce with garlic and herbs (half a 26-oz. jar)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place each chicken breast between plastic wrap; lightly pound with flat side of meat mallet to about 1/4 inch thickness. (If they're a little thicker that's ok. Mine were about 1/2 inch thick)
- In bowl stir together egg white, spinach, cottage cheese, and half the mozzarella; spoon on chicken, leaving 1/2 inch border. Roll up from narrow side. Place, seam sides down, in 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Use toothpicks to hold together if necessary. Combine spaghetti sauce and tomato paste; spoon over chicken.
- Bake, covered, for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, about 25 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F) and cheese is light brown. If desired, serve with spaghetti.
Nutrition Information Per serving: Calories 292 Total Fat 7 g Saturated Fat 4 g Cholesterol 101 mg Sodium 718 mg Carbohydrate 10 g Total Sugar 6 g Fiber 3 g Protein 46 g.