Yesterday I was really craving pasta. I had found this recipe a couple weeks ago and knew it would definitely satisfy my pasta craving. And satisfy it did.
I love the quintessential Italian foods. Throw some pasta, mozzarella, and a dash of oregano to something and I’ll devour it. This dish was really tasty, but it did have kind of an unusual flavor. Not bad unusual, just not that instantly recognizably Italian flavor. When I tried to identify the “odd” flavor, I sat there chewing and wondering how to describe it. Finally, I said, “It tastes like sour cream and onion dip!” I think the flavor came from the cheese mixture, which has cream cheese, sour cream, and minced green onions. So, yeah, it kinda tasted like sour cream and onion dip with pasta and meaty marinara sauce. Which sounds gross, but it really wasn’t. I liked it a lot, and Blake LOVED it. He even said it was his second favorite pasta recipe I’ve ever done (his most favorite is the Skinny Lasagna Alfredo).
So, basically if you try this recipe, just know that it’s a little unusual but it’s still good. To cut back on the onion-y flavor you could also try cooking them in with the meat instead of mixing in with the sour cream. In my opinion, this would’ve been better with some ricotta cheese instead of the mixture of cheeses, but hey, I’m a traditionalist. Another great reason to check out this recipe is that it’s Weight Watchers, and let’s face it, if you’re working on losing or maintaining your weight, you usually don’t get to eat a lot of pasta.
- 1 12 oz. box penne pasta
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 15oz can tomato sauce
- 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar (I used splenda)
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 4oz fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup green onions, minced
- 1/4 shredded parmesan
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Brown turkey, and drain of extra grease if needed.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, sugar, oregano and basil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a separate bowl, mix sour cream, cream cheese, egg and parmesan. Add in minced green onions.
- Spray baking dish with nonstick spray. Layer the meat sauce on the bottom, then penne and then the sour cream mixture. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes and broil for 5 minutes to brown. (I totally forgot the broiling step which is why mine is not brown)
WW Points = 9
Source: Growing Up Slow