Those of you who have browsed many of my recipes know that I am a carnivore through and through. I love eating meat, and honestly when I eat a meal that doesn’t involve meat, I rarely feel full afterwards. Typically, the only vegetarian dishes I enjoy are ones that involve pasta…and coincidentally lots of cheese. I don’t know how vegans survive (or at least enjoy their meals) without eating meat OR cheese.
This recipe is not vegan thanks to the copious amounts of cheese, but it is vegetarian. And much to my delight, it was very filling and tasted AMAZING! I was thoroughly pleased with how well they turned out. This recipe, along with the Spaghetti Braid, are my favorite vegetarian dishes ever! You should know that this dish does take a good bit of time to prep and cook. I think its beautiful presentation makes it great for a special occasion!
- 8 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 14 oz freshly shredded, low-moisture part skim Mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup freshly, finely shredded Parmesan cheese (about 1 1/4 oz)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 - 4 medium Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 1/6 inch thick slices)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente. Drain pasta (do not rinse with water) and align lasagna noodles in a single layer on a large sheet of parchment or wax paper.
- For filling, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese and egg white until well blended. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Mix in 12 oz. of the Mozzarella cheese and season with black pepper to taste (I wouldn't recommend seasoning with salt just because the cheeses already have plenty of salt).
- Place 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture over each lasagna noodle and spread into an even layer, going from one end of the lasagna to the other. Align 4 thin tomato slices over cheese mixture then sprinkle fresh basil over top. Snugly roll lasagna noodles to opposite end.
- Spread about 1/4 cup pasta sauce in the bottom of an 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Align lasagna roll ups, seam side down in dish. Top each roll up with about 2 Tbsp of the pasta sauce (covering edges of pasta so they don't dry out while baking). Sprinkle top with remaining 2 oz. shredded Mozzarella.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes. Remove from oven, plate pasta and garnish with plenty of basil ribbons.
Source: Cooking Classy