Shrimp & Grits are a classic Southern dish. Even though I was born and raised in the South, I have to admit…I actually don’t like grits! At least…I thought I didn’t. I’ve only ever had grits made with water (like the package says to use). But these grits are made with chicken broth and milk. They were AMAZING. So flavorful and creamy….not bland and gummy like when they’re made with water. I guess the shrimp, bacon, green onions, mushrooms, and cheese helped too. Because this was awesome.
I mentioned in another post that I was stranded at my office during “Snowmageddon” in Birmingham a couple weeks ago. Well this dish is actually what was on the menu for that night. I was planning on making it for my mom, dad, and husband. Out of the 4 of us, only my dad made it home that night while the rest of us were stranded. When he heard that we wouldn’t be coming home, his response was, “But what about my shrimp & grits?!” He had really been looking forward to this meal! And I’m sure he was concerned for our safety and all that too haha.
Anyways, I made this the day after we made it home from being stranded, and it really hit the spot! It’s a great comfort food, and it’s so thick and hearty that it really fills your belly and warms your body. Perfect for during a winter storm! Oh and you’ll never believe it, but this is actually low cal! I got it from my eMeals Low Calorie Plan. I will admit though, that there is quite a bit of prep work involved, so just be prepared for that. But hey, if you’re snowed in, you have plenty of time to make it!
- 5 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2¼ cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ cups uncooked stone-ground grits
- 4 slices center-cut bacon
- 16 oz package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring 4 c of broth and milk to a boil in a heavy saucepan; add salt and pepper. Whisk in grits. Cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, Cook bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving ½ tablespoon drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Add mushrooms, green onions and garlic to skillet; sauté 6 minutes or until mushrooms are browned and tender. Add shrimp; cook 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.
- Whisk together remaining chicken broth and cornstarch; add broth mixture and lemon juice to skillet. Cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in bacon and parsley.
- Stir cheese into grits. Serve shrimp mixture over cheese grits.