I’m back from Africa! It was an incredible two weeks, but it’s good to be home. In my previous travels to Rwanda, Ethiopia, and Haiti on mission trips, I always miss the food from home. In Africa, we eat potatoes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every single day and cannot wait for a change of pace when we get home! In Haiti, the food was actually pretty good, but still just different than the comfort food of home. There are 2 food items that always bring me comfort and make me feel at home: cheese and bacon. They’re not the healthiest foods in the world, but they are certainly some of the tastiest. And after traveling, I usually want something covered in gooey cheese with lots of greasy bacon on top.
These cheddar bacon chicken tenders definitely hit the spot! They’re just downright American. Plus, they’re actually quite simple to make, which is always a bonus. This is totally a family meal, sure to please any picky eaters. Everybody loves chicken fingers, and everybody loves cheese and bacon. It’s a guaranteed win!
- 1 egg
- garlic salt, to taste
- onion salt, to taste
- ½ cup plain panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup finely shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 3 oz cooked real bacon crumbles
- 1 package (14 oz) uncooked chicken tenders (not breaded)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray roasting grill pan with cooking spray.
- Season each chicken tender with garlic salt, onion salt, and pepper.
- In shallow bowl, beat egg.
- In large bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, bacon, and additional garlic salt, onion salt, and pepper.
- Dip chicken into egg. Press each chicken tender in the bread crumb mixture and coat the entire tender.
- Place chicken tenders on sprayed roasting grill pan. Spray the tops of the chicken tenders with cooking spray.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink in center and bread crumbs are golden brown.
Source: Real Housemoms