It’s Football Friday! Tomorrow is Week 2 of college football, and you need something to serve at your tailgate! Here on Normal Cooking, I have quite a few “football recipes” because I love making a good tailgate spread each week. Football and food just go hand in hand, and it’d be unorthodox to have a game on TV and NOT have food in your mouth. So I make it my personal responsibility to supply you with food ideas for your football parties. I’m a saint, I know.
These chicken bacon pinwheels are great…because bacon. Grilling bacon gives it a really good, smokey flavor. It’s my favorite way to cook bacon! And of course that smokey flavor is in the chicken too. I will admit that mine don’t look anything like the picture I was going off of:
But oh well. Mine came out looking more like little roses. I certainly don’t mind that it didn’t look the same because it still tasted awesome! I love that it requires so few ingredients. This is definitely a man-pleasing dish. Great to serve during a football game, but also great just about any time. You can serve them as a finger food appetizer, but they would also make a good entree for a meal!
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 8 slices of thick bacon
- 2 T of olive oil
- 2 t dried thyme
- 1 t garlic powder
- toothpicks soaked in water
- Slice your chicken breast into 1 inch thick slices.
- Slightly cook your bacon in a skillet or in the microwave. You don't want it crisp, but just to have a little color.
- Divide your chicken strips into four equal amounts. Lay a strip of bacon on top of a chicken slice and roll up with the bacon on the inside. Use your toothpicks to hold it all together.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the tops and bottom and sprinkle with thyme and garlic powder.
- Grill over medium heat until chicken is completely cooked, usually 5 minutes on each side. (this varies depending on each grill so be sure your chicken is thoroughly cooked before serving.
Source: Real Housemoms