Do you love pizza? Do you love sloppy joes? Do you love using your slow cooker so dinner is ready for you when you get home? Well then, by golly, I’ve got just the recipe for you! This dish combines two classic family favorites: pizza and sloppy joes, and it is sure to be a hit at your dinner table.
I loved this pizza twist on a traditional sloppy joe. The pizza sauce and Italian seasoning definitely gave it a pizza-like flavor. But I think my favorite part was the cheese! I don’t know why it never occurred to me to put cheese on a sloppy joe before, but consider my life changed. Whether I’m making these pizza sloppy joes or just regular ones, I’ll definitely be adding some shredded mozzarella cheese to the meat mixture from now on. It was so good! And everyone knows cheese makes everything better.
I love how easy slow cooker recipes are because many of them are what I call “dump and go” recipes where you just dump in the ingredients, turn on the crock pot, and let it go. This one, sadly, is not “dump and go” because you do need to brown the beef and sausage, along with the onion and bell pepper. BUT, you could definitely do this step the night before, put it in the fridge overnight, and then “dump and go” the next day!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups Spaghetti or Pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- pepperoni slices
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 hamburger buns
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef and sausage with chopped onion and bell pepper. Cook 10 minutes or until beef and sausage crumbles and are no longer pink. Drain well.
- Place beef mixture in a slow cooker. Stir in pizza sauce, water, vinegar, mustard, worcestershire, garlic, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper (if desired).
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
- Top with cheese and pepperoni. Re-cover and let sit for just a few minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve on hamburger buns.
You could brown beef, sausage, and veggies the night before, drain, and refrigerate overnight. Then place mixture in the slow cooker the next day and follow the remainder of the recipe.
Source: Real Housemoms